Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CHARLESTOWN, BRIDGE OF FORMER ELGIN RAILWAYLB3755

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
17/03/1978
Supplementary Information Updated
26/06/2017
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 06213 83696
Coordinates
306213, 683696

Description

Circa 1795. Coursed, sandstone rubble; roughly droved ashlar dressings and soffits. 3 segmental arches, metal tie plates over centre and S end arches; sloping buttress at S end, W side. Sandstone rubble parapet; rough rubble coping. Cobbled road. Steep drop to W, gentler slope to E. Built to carry former Elgin Railway.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Construction of the Elgin Railway began in 1774. It was built to carry coal from the various pits situated near Dunfermline, to Limekilns where it was shipped away. A number of landlords who owned pits, or on whose land the proposed route of the railway fell, were involved in the construction of the railway, including Sir John Halkett of Pitfirrane, Robert Wellwood of Garvock and Pitliver and George Chalmers of Pittencrieff. In 1790 Earl Elgin took complete ownership of the railway. Initially the railway took the form of a wagonway with wooden rails and horse power. The wooden rails were replaced by iron and in 1852 steam engines provided the power. Coal was transported from pits at Berrielaw and Knockhouse, through Crossford, the Broomhall Estate and Limekilns to Limekilns Harbour with a branch to Brucehaven Harbour. The coal was then carted from Limekilns Harbour to the Charlestown limekilns. In 1795 work began to improve the route which resulted in the 3-arch bridge providing direct access to Charlestown Harbour with branches to the kiln head and to the Charlestown Brick and Tile Co works. The line was also used to carry passengers, the station was situated by Camsie House (formerly the Elgin Arms Inn). In 1863 the North British Railway bought the Elgin Railway and continued carrying freight only, until a passenger service was re-established with a station at Saltpans, to the E of Charlestown Harbour which continued until 1938. The Elgin Railway Bridge now carries a footpath. The numerous industrial activities which took place in and around Charlestown during the late 18th century have ceased but the retention of the bridge and its associated structures such as the limekilns and village serve as a reminder of the activities which created Charlestown; and the importance of Charlestown's history is enhanced by the survival of such structures.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS Map, 1856; S Chesher, L Foster, L Hogben, A SHORT HISTORY OF THE VILLAGES, 1979, p16; N Fotheringham, CHARLESTOWN, 1997, p37-40.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHARLESTOWN, BRIDGE OF FORMER ELGIN RAILWAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/10/2022 16:32