Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NY 8365 82268
308365, 582268


Style of Walter Newall, architect. Built 1819-20. Rectangular-plan 4-bay Gothic church at south end of High Street; north gable, with central 3-stage square tower, faces Town House. Tower, principal north elevation and dressings, containing 14th century bells (see Statement of Special Interest below). All red ashlar, remainder rubble built, Hood-moulded pointed openings throughout, small-paned glazing with woodentracery, cusped and latticed at north. Rendered 1959 lean-to vestry at south with lancets.

Tower door in re-entrant angle, original vestry in inner stage, top stage has louvred belfry openings; pierced parapet links spiked pinnacles over angles; similarpinnacles above shallow angle buttresses at north; south gable crowstepped. Slate roof.

INTERIOR: cusped Gothic pulpit, organ and communion table at north end and ground level seating, all replacements (perhaps by Frank Carruthers, circa 1880); unusually complete and deep horseshoe gallery is original and is supported on timber columns (2 tiers at south), named and numbered gated pews with timber snecks. Ribbed flat ceiling.

Enclosed by rubble-built and ashlar-coped low boundary walls; corniced piers at north.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of worship in use as such. The two bells which hang in the tower are named the Bruce Bell and the Pope Bell and may date from the early to mid-14th century. The inscription on the [Bruce] bell, in Lombardic Capitals, and the letters composing it are reversed so as to read from right to left + JOHANNES ADAM ME FECIT + (John Adama made me) while on the sound bow in paired letters is the Angelic Salutation and Dedication - AVE MARIA. see the Royal Burgh of Lochmaben pp.9 and 10 for further information on the church bells. The labelled gallery pew doors are particularly rare.Category was changed from B to A on 04.10.1988. Listed building record updated 2016.



Canmore: CANMORE ID 66312

Ordnace Survey (surveyed1856, published 1861) Dumfries Sheet L.3 (Lochmaben). 25 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.

2 seating plans in vestry; one dated 14.7.1820, the other, by Carruthers, dated 16.6.188( ).

Groome, F.H. (1885) Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (2nd ed) Vol IV p539.

Wilson, J. (2001) The Kirk Bells and the Grave Slab in Wilson J.B. The Royal Burgh of Lochmaben: Its History, Its Castle and Its Churches. 2nd Edition. pp.9-10.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, LOCHMABEN PARISH CHURCH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS (ST MAGDALENE'S)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/06/2020 09:17