Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CHARLESTOWN, 8, 10, 14, THE SUTLERY, 16, 18 ROCKS ROAD, INCLUDING LETTERBOXLB3742

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
31/12/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
11/03/2016
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 06583 83781
Coordinates
306583, 683781

Description

1770. 3-storey; 5-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan former granary and cart shed. Pedimented central section; 5 partially blocked ground floor arches; exposed sandstone; harled at rear with 3 pink band courses; ashlar surrounds to openings. Eaves course to front; raised gable wallheads. Wall mounted letterbox to principal elevation; earlier-mid 20th century; cast iron.

WEST (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door and 2 flanking windows inserted into blocked up arched openings. Door in each outer bay. 5 1st floor windows and 2nd floor granary openings including central hoist door centred above; extra 1st floor window between 1st and 2nd bays to left. Gabled pediment above central 3 bays; central corniced stack with diamond decoration (former base for bell). Niche with fitting for bell pull above left of central door. Letterbox to right of far left ground floor window; 'Post Office' legend to mouth hood; door below with 'G VI R' and crown decoration.

SOUTH ELEVATION: replacement central steps and porch leading to 1st floor accommodation. Flanking 1st floor windows; 2 blind 2nd floor windows centred above; central blind round-headed 2nd floor windows. Raised flat gablehead with diamond decoration; corniced chimney stacks at either end; circular cans.

EAST ELEVATION: 2 doors with flanking windows. 1st floor windows and 2nd floor granary openings centred above ground floor windows and right hand door; additional ground floor window to right of right door and 1st floor window between 2nd and 3rd bays.

NORTH ELEVATION: partially seen, 2000; 1st floor door; window to right. 2nd floor door to left; external replacement staircase.

Varied fenestration; predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber shutters to upper storey openings. M-gabled roof; slate.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop and Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin who exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and a harbour and accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 and was complimented by associated structures such as the old granary, school and The Queen's Hall. Built as the Broomhall Estate granary; the hoist doors and arches for the carts and horses are still evident. The ground floor was converted into the Sutlery (store) in 1804 which served the village and remains today as a shop and post office; the 1st floor contains residential flats. The large bell, which called the workers, was removed from the front of the building circa 1930.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 49511

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1856

S Chesher, L Foster, L Hogben, A SHORT HISTORY OF THE VILLAGES, 1979, p.18;

N Fotheringham, CHARLESTOWN, 1997, pp57-60.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHARLESTOWN, 8, 10, 14, THE SUTLERY, 16, 18 ROCKS ROAD, INCLUDING LETTERBOX

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:28