Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

CHARLESTOWN, HARBOUR ROAD, LIMEKILNSLB3741

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
31/12/1971
Date Removed:
21/06/2017
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 6422 83561
Coordinates
306422, 683561

Removal Reason

This building is dual designated, it will be de-listed as part of the Dual Designation 2 project but will remain scheduled.

Description

1750-1760. Long range of 14 kilns, inter-connected by rear passage, approximately 30 foot high. Principal elevation faces S towards harbour; rear built into bank. Coursed, dressed sandstone. Kilns numbered 1 from E to 14 at W. Tall (approximately 30 foot) sloping wall runs northwards at far right; concave area to left; raggles of pitched buildings (now gone); tall red brick flue with fireplace at base extends height of wall. Openings to kilns to left. Row of 10 arches to left. First 3 arches set back due to missing stone facing. Large square opening above and between 2nd and 3rd arch. Timber boarded doors cover first 3 arches. Stone facing missing to left of 9th arch. Fireplace in arch to left of 10th arch. Tall access archway to left of Kiln 11. Kiln 12 advanced and set at angle to left; 2 arches in right return. Low arch with fireplace to right of Kiln 12; tall access arch to left. Advanced Kiln 13 to left; 2 small arches in right return. Low arch with fireplace set in to left; tall access archway to left; opening above to right. Kiln 14 to far left; low archway to right; flat segmental arch to far left; opening above. Slope to left gives access to left return of Kiln 14.

Statement of Special Interest

SCHEDULED MONUMENT. A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop and Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Limestone had been dug and burnt in kilns at Limekilns before Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin organised the process. Lime played an important part in Scotland's economy and was used in agriculture, building and industrial applications such as glass production. Coal and limestone were found on the Elgin estate which the Earl exploited to create a large industry which also involved the establishment of an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke as well as lime, a village to house the workers and the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour. Initially 6 kilns were built (at the E end of the bank) which later increased to 14 as Charlestown became the largest producer of lime in Europe and supplied a third of Scotland's total production. It was one of the first large-scale industrial enterprises in Scotland. The limestone was transported by horse drawn carts and later by wagons to the kilnhead. Due to the position of the kilns built into the bank, the need to hoist coal up to the kilnhead was eliminated and the proximity of the kilns to the harbour enabled the men to shovel the lime directly onto the boats for exportation. Associated structures such as the slaking house and engineer's shed were demolished in 1956 when the works closed. The kilns operated for over 200 years and are now redundant. The scale of the limekilns which remain serve as a reminder of the industry which created Charlestown and its importance is enhanced by the survival of the associated village, harbour, quarries and rail tracks.

References

Bibliography

J Ainslie, COUNTY OF FIFE, 1775 (Charlestown is depicted); J Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, 1976, p132; N Fotheringham, CHARLESTOWN, 1997; NMRS Archive, 2000.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHARLESTOWN, HARBOUR ROAD, LIMEKILNS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 13:50