Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
NT 182 77195
300182, 677195


Circa 1700 more than doubled in size by mid 18th century addition. Two 3-storey blocks forming asymmetrical L-plan house. Rubble, harled and painted with raised painted margins to windows, sandstone margins to windows to additions. Base and eaves courses, crowstepped gables.


S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 near-symmetrical bays; tall corniced, blocked Gibbsion doorpiece to outer left with window to centre and bipartite window to outer right. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors, slightly smaller to latter.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank gabled elevation with rendered apex stack. 3 asymmetrical bays recessed to right, 3 windows to ground (2 now blocked), windows to 1st and 2nd floors. Gabled return with apex stack to right ajoins lower houses to Kirkgate.


S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: taller piended addition clasping lower block above eaves with 3 asymmetrical bays; 3 windows at ground and 2nd floor (blank at 1st).

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: full-height bowed bay with 3 windows to each floor (2 outer windows at ground now blocked), tall round-headed window to centre at 1st floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 bays; door at 1st floor with iron forestair.

Mostly 12-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, renedered stacks.

INTERIOR: geometric plaster work ceiling to 1st floor room at rear of 17th century house. Fine rococo plasterwork to 1st floor room in addition with swirling foliage, birds, baskets of fruit, consoled cornice and foliated centre-piece; also dado and decorated wood chimneypiece.

Statement of Special Interest

Category A for interior work. Situated on the corner of the Cross and Kirkgate. The house was built by Andrew Craufurd of Lochcote. The extension was added by Robert Garner, Commissary of the Royal Forces in Scotland. The house was occupied for a time by James Glen, Provost of Linlithgow 1724-26 and 1730-35; Governor of South Carolina 1738-57, and Keeper of Linlithgow Palace 1743-77. Harled circa 1966. The centre windows of the addition on the S elevation are post 1966. Applications for alterations to upper floor rooms, late 1991. Will have little effect on character.




About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 5 THE CROSS, CROSS HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 08:17