Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DURIE STREET, CARBERRY HOUSE, SUNDIALLB37350

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
24/11/1985
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Leven
NGR
NO 38464 1132
Coordinates
338464, 701132

Description

Probably 17th century; restored 1889; removed to current site 1982. 3-stage, red sandstone, obelisk type sundial with hollow-faceted dials much eroded. Modern stepped 3 tier rectangular base giving way to shaft of 5 cubes with hollowed out symbols; 2nd stage capital with reclining, upright and proclining dials surmounted by incised tapering finial.

Statement of Special Interest

It is widely believed that the shaft and capital belonged originally to the town cross which was removed from its site at Carpenter's Brae in 1767 for the funeral procession of Mr Gibson (formerly of Durie House which burned down in 1762). Nothing is remembered of its whereabouts until 15th January 1889 when Mr James Anderson of Norton House discovered it (broken into pieces) built into a garden wall. This gentleman funded its restoration, with a new (conjectural) finial and it was subsequently erected outside the Greig Institute at Viewforth Place. As the road at Viewforth was widened in 1982, the sundial was moved to the grounds of Carberry House. Although regarded primarily as a market cross, Small points out that it was largely a sundial first and was probably utilised as a cross.

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon & Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND VOL V, p413-4 (illus). RCAHMS INVENTORY 496. J W Small SCOTTISH MARKET CROSSES (1900), plate 55. Save the Wemyss Ancient Caves Society LEVEN WALKABOUT (1993).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DURIE STREET, CARBERRY HOUSE, SUNDIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 03:16