Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SKELMORLIE AISLE AND CEMETERY WALL AND GATE PIERSLB37198

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/04/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
17/01/2017
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Burgh
Largs
NGR
NS 20265 59441
Coordinates
220265, 659441

Description

Built 1636. Aisle, originally north transept of Largs

old church (demolished 1802), and originally linked by

tall pointed arch, now blocked, on south wall. Coursed

ashlar. Entrance on west wall: ogival-headed door with

roll moulding, below square plaque with crest, and flanked

by single windows: 2 similar windows on east wall, and

window with geometric tracery on north gable. Angle

margins, with decorative quoins. Straight skews, thistle

and fleur-de-lis finials and slate roof.

Interior: richly painted ceiling, signed J S Stalker,

and dated 1638. Timber barrel-vaulted roof divided by

painted ribs imitating rib-vaulting, panels between with

biblical texts and representations, zodiac signs and

symbolic figures; the 4 seasons represented in the

corners, 'summer' including view of Largs town and old

church. Floor on 2 levels, upper level raised over

partially sunk burial vault, and approached by steps with

balustraded parapet. Elaborate Renaissance carved stone

tomb, canopy raised above panelled and pilastered

platform, supported on 4 pairs of double Corinthian

columns; 2 elaborate outer entablatures linked

centrally by raised arch with elaborate brackets;

soffits coffered; entablature with pinnacles and

decorative pediment. Symbolic figures over angles.

Enclosed by rubble-built cemetery walls with

segmental-headed ashlar gateway to west dated 1636 and

approached by stone steps.

Statement of Special Interest

Guardianship Monument.

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon & Ross "Castellated and Domestic Architecture"

Vol V, pp 193-200 (figs 1309-1313)

Department of the Environment, "Skelmorlie Aisle"

(HMSO pub)

M R Apted "Painted ceilings of Scotland" 1966 pp 21-24,

plates 21-24 (HMSO pub).

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Skelmorlie Aisle

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/skelmorlie-aisle

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. Skelmorlie Aisle and Largs Old Churchyard, W of Lade StreetSM90277

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Removed

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SKELMORLIE AISLE AND CEMETERY WALL AND GATE PIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 08:35