William Kerr associated with Thomas Graham Abercrombie of
Paisley, architects. 1890-2. Early English Gothic, 7-bay
church with tall 3-stage tower and spire, vestry and 4-bay
hall at south east, low gabled porch at south west. Snecked,
stugged red ashlar with polished dressings. Tower has
clasping, stepped angle buttresses at 1st and 2nd stage;
door in south wall with pointed moulded head and hood-
moulds, single lancet set high above in tall lower stage.
Short 2nd stage with 5 arcaded pointed-headed openings
(3 blind) with slender shafts to each face.
3rd stage has tall, open, pointed-headed, paired belfry
lights to each face, in moulded reveals, with slender
dividing column. Tall, faceted spire with lucarnes and
pinnacles supported on columns. Tower linked to church by
rectangular hall and semi-octagonal vestry. Projecting
porch at west with door under pointed, moulded head and
hood-mould, bays to body of church divided by stepped
buttresses with gablets above eaves; 5 windows with
geometric tracery to north and south, 2 in former in
advanced gabled aisle; door in either end of north wall.
Large geometric traceried window in west gable, gableted
angle buttresses, stepped, and with plinths, at eaves line,
supporting figures under hoods, Moses to left, St John to
right. East window has large geometric traceried window and
angle buttresses; hall, lit by 4 lancets, extends to left.
Interior: body of church with oak pews and high dado with
panels cusped, and corniced. Hammerbeam roof, and light
fittings supported by angelic figures. Organ by Willis of
London. East window by Meikle and Sons, Glasgow, and west
and transept gallery windows by Stephen Adam, these all
gifted by John Clark.
Church set back and enclosed by low red ashlar wall with
battered broad gatepiers; octagonal, with decorative frieze,
cornice and hemi-spherical caps.