Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HIGH STREET, LIBRARYLB37123

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/08/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Burgh
Langholm
NGR
NY 36478 84480
Coordinates
336478, 584480

Description

James Burnet of Ewesbank, Langholm. Built 1875-8 (dated

1877). 2-storey and attic neo-Jacobean public library

adjoining S (rear) wall of Town House, with garden to S and

public road along either flank. Interior totally rebuilt

circa 1980. Stugged ashlar, with polished dressings.

Symmetrical buckle-quoined elevations mainly with

cross-windows (plate glass), leaded and ogee-domed turrets

over clasping angles, wallhead gables with small windows,

kneelers and spike finials. Shallow advanced gabled centre to

S with main door and flanking panels all round-headed;

corbelled rectangular oriel above. Flank elevations 4 (2 + 2)

bays; large shop opening with unusually long stone-lintelled

span (now tourist centre) in W wall. Band and string courses

between floors; eaves band and cornice, wallhead balustrade

at S. Slate roofs.

Statement of Special Interest

Associated with Hugh MacDiarmid, whose mother was a cleaner

at the library; MacDiarmid is said to have read every book in

the library, and the books there must have had a formative

effect on him. Designed 1873; design modified to exclude town

hall originally proposed; building delayed, and opened

16.1.1878 "without any formality whatsoever".

Library instituted 1.7.1800; collection swelled by Telford

legacy of 1834; subscription of $1000 by Alexander Reid

(d.1874) who at the time of his death was building

Craigcleuch house which, stylistically, is very similar to

this building. B Group.

References

Bibliography

Library Committee Minutes held in building.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, LIBRARY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/01/2022 07:32