Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LADYBANK STATION (MAIN WEST BLOCK)LB36925

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/07/1977
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Ladybank
NGR
NO 30635 9645
Coordinates
330635, 709645

Description

Opened 1847 Edinburgh & Northern Railway, architect probably David Bell. Very fine west block of offices with taller dwelling-house at south end, picturesque classic style. 2 and 3 storeys (with platform at 1st floor level) coursed rubble, slate roofs, hipped to taller block and north end, oversailing eaves with plain bargeboards, tall chimneys; small gabled entrance wing with blind oculus, triple sash window, dripmould, outside stair to wooden porch with cast iron columns. Other glazing of cross type, one triple sash to south block, outside stone stair to house entrance. Single storey whitewashed front with one splayed bay towards

platform; fine flat-roofed canopy with cast iron columns and acanthus capitals, scrolled ironwork brackets to lamps. Most of the offices, waiting rooms etc appear to have original fire-places and fittings. Stone wall, gatepiers, stone steps, double ironwork gates with lamp bracket over attached to north end of main block.

Statement of Special Interest

A 2-platform through station with main offices on west platform towards Ladybank. The east platform is in Collessie parish. Ladybank was a railway junction of importance since it stood on the main Burntisland to Tayport line, and was connected in 1848-49 to Newburgh (and then Bridge of Earn) and to Mawcarse Junction near Milnathort. Category A on account of the intact nature of the station, canopy, fittings, etc. It is now the oldest Scottish station surviving substantially unaltered.

References

Bibliography

J R Hume: Industrial Archaeology of Scotland vol I p 129 CH Ellis: The North British Railway p30-32.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LADYBANK STATION (MAIN WEST BLOCK)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/07/2019 14:07