Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

AUCHTERDERRAN, WOODEND ROAD, AUCHTERDERRAN PARISH CHURCH CRYPT AND GRAVEYARDLB3675

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/10/1996
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Auchterderran
NGR
NT 21436 96027
Coordinates
321436, 696027

Description

CRYPT: dated 1676, possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Small, rectangular, slated, rubble building. Moulded doorway (blocked) to W with dated lintel and pediment containing Kinninmonth coat of arms; pedimented Kinninmonth memorial slab to S with skull and crossed bones, initials "IKMW" (John Kinninmonth and Margaret Wemyss) in tympanum; blinded window (see Notes) to N.

GRAVEYARD: 18th century and later. Earlier gravestones

predominantly simple block pedimented style with inscriptions, including memorial to Thomas Birnel 1727 with gardening tools and initials TM and RG flanking weavers tools' on reverse. 19th century memorials predominantly classical with urns and pilasters, and obelisks. Various carvings include sand-glasses, crowns, bells, spades, children's heads with wings, goblets, skulls, suns and stars. Moulded balusters and carved panel set into random rubble adjacent to W elevation of crypt commemorate John Pindar, poet.

Statement of Special Interest

Also known as 'Kinninmonth mausoleum' and 'the Shrine', the crypt (previously listed as 'Kirkyard Building, Old St Fothad's Church') is believed to be the chancel of Old St Fothad's Medieval Church which was given by St Fothad, last bishop of Alban (1059-93), "to God, St Serf, and the hermit Culdees of Lochleven" (Groome). Enlarged 1676 with addition of transepts and nave, the additions were demolished 1784 providing materials for new church; Norman window frame transferred to N wall of Parish Church (listed separately) during 1920 renovation of the latter. Some 'Kynninmonths of that ilk', Mr Landale, his wife and daughter, and John Henderson (factor at Lochgelly) are interred within the crypt, the door of which "is of old oak and hob-nailed, the remains of a new door placed on the old church before it fell, after 1676" (Houston).

The NSA reports that "even the poor labourer is under hardship of providing safes for the graves of his friends", and Houston "some of the graves contain strips of iron welded into jankar-stones, placed 3' or 4' below the surface" (p211). By 1859 only heritors and next of kin to those already buried in the graveyard were permitted burial here.

References

Bibliography

GROOME'S GAZETTEER. Hew Scott FASTI ECCLESAIAE, Vol V (1925). AUCHTERDERRAN OF YESTERYEAR Vol I, (1990). Houston AUCHTERDERRAN A PARISH HISTORY (1924). NSA.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHTERDERRAN, WOODEND ROAD, AUCHTERDERRAN PARISH CHURCH CRYPT AND GRAVEYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/12/2019 19:06