Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ST. BRIDGET'S CHURCHLB3667

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
24/11/1972
Date Removed:
17/01/2018
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dalgety
NGR
NT 16956 83795
Coordinates
316956, 683795

Removal Reason

The building will be removed as part of the Dual Designation 2A project. It will continue to be recognized as a monument of national importance through its designation as a scheduled monument.

Description

Pre-Reformation Single-chambered church altered in 16th

and 17th cents. Rubble. Roofless. Buttress at S.E. angle.

Forestair at E. end to former Donibristle loft. Burial

aisles on N. and S. sides. DALGETY AISLE (early 17th cent.)

at w. end. Z-plan. 2 storeys. Ashlar lower floor is burial

vault (with remains of Chancellor Seton). Upper floor

reached by turnpike stair has two rooms panelled in stone

and gives on to former loft. Interior of church contains

piscina and interesting sepulchral monuments.

Statement of Special Interest

Consecrated 1244. Abandoned 1830; roof removed by Lord

Moray. Alexander Seton, 1st Earl of Dunfermline (1555-1622)

Lord Chancellor of Scotland acquired Dalgety estate from

Abernethy family in 1593. It eventually passed to Earl of

Moray who joined it to his Donibristle and St. Colme

estates. There is no trace now of Dalgety House.

Scheduled Monument 28 April 1999.

References

Bibliography

O.S.A.

N.S.A. Groome

Inv. 180 (ill., plan)

Ecc. Arch. 111. pp. 549 - 550 (ill., plan)

Millar, 'Fife' 11, pp. 176 - 8

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

St. Bridget's Kirk

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/st-bridgets-kirk

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. St Bridget's KirkSM90266

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Designated
  2. ST COLMEGDL00345

    Designation Type
    Garden & Designed Landscape
    Status
    Designated
  3. WATCH-HOUSE, ST. BRIDGET'S CHURCHYARDLB3646

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Removed

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST. BRIDGET'S CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2019 08:24