Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DYSART, 1 PAN HA', BAY HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB36407

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
28/01/1971
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Kirkcaldy
NGR
NT 30335 92924
Coordinates
330335, 692924

Description

Dated 1583; rear wing possibly 18th century; reconstructed 1969 by W Schomberg Scott. 2-storey, 5-bay crowstepped house with corbelled 1st floor to centre S and carved skewputts. Harled.

S (PAN HA') ELEVATION: ground floor with small window to left of centre under corbel table; 2 windows flanking centre at 1st floor with dominant, shouldered wallhead stack at centre and skewputts with carved human heads.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced gable to centre (see Notes) with door and 1st floor window on return to left, window to each floor on return to right; recessed bay to right with window to each floor and further door in recessed bay to left.

E ELEVATION: horizontal light to left of centre at ground, window above to left and small window to left in gablehead with broad gablehead stack.

W ELEVATION: advanced gable to right with window to right at 1st floor and tiny window to outer right in gablehead, broad gablehead stack; recessed face to left with window to right at 1st floor; skewputt to left with carved human head.

8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Pantiles. Coped harled stacks with thackstane; ashlar-coped crowsteps with 3 grotesques skewputts (see Notes).

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: harled and rubble boundary walls; E boundary with square-headed moulded doorway with lintel inscription "MY HOIP IS IN THE LORD 1583" and further moulded round-headed doorway (circa 1600); pyramidal-coped square section gatepiers to SW.

Statement of Special Interest

The National Trust for Scotland Little Houses Scheme was instrumental in the 1969 reconstruction when the 16th century layout became apparent; there were 3 ground floor rooms and a 1st floor hall with stone fireplace and ceiling coombed into the roof-space, lower rooms to each side had painted ceilings (removed 1969). The rear wing (possibly 18th century) is thought to replace a timber gallery supported on posts. Built for Patrick Sinclair whose coat of arms and initials were discovered on a painted ceiling, the three human head skewputts are thought to represent King James VI, Anne of Denmark and their son, Charles I. Cunningham calls it the 'Old Manse' and thinks the lintel inscription may have been added by John Young, Protestant Minister, after the Reformation. Early in the 19th century it was the home of John Ruskin's grandparents, and later became the Bay Horse Inn.

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE VOL V, p146. Gifford FIFE (1992), p290. Dysart Trust THE DYSART TRAIL. J Swan & C McNeill DYSART A ROYAL BURGH (1997), pp108-111.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DYSART, 1 PAN HA', BAY HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 21:30