Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DYSART HARBOURLB36406

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/01/1971
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Kirkcaldy
NGR
NT 30200 92800
Coordinates
330200, 692800

Description

Early 17th century tidal basin; 1831 wet dock; restored 1967. Roughly U-plan tidal basin with harbour mouth to S (at rounded end) and slipway to N; W arm with jetties projecting at W and NW forming mouth to almost rhomboidal-plan wet dock at NW. E pier with high ashlar sea wall to SE. Harbour walls largely ashlar, parts in vertical courses; stone sets to slipways.

Statement of Special Interest

Dysart was a port in 1450, and until the early 17th century it had a pier at nearby Pan Ha'. The current harbour plan appears on a map of 1750, and shipbuilding was practised from 1764 until circa 1900. Export trade in salt and coal (mainly to the Low Countries) was common from the fifteenth century, with Dysart becoming a separate burgh early in the sixteenth century. Work began on the present harbour early in the 17th century, funded by the Town Council and Lord Sinclair. Robert Stevenson was commissioned to report on the harbour's state in 1819, when coal from the Lady Blanche colliery was a major export, and in 1829 the new inner dock was complete, it "included an inner harbour which, closed by dock gates, allowed ships to load coal at all stages of the tide" and "was the first harbour on the east coast of Scotland to have such a facility" (Swan & McNeill, p19). In 1843 a violent storm washed away 100ft of the E pier. The Lady Blanche Colliery was closed in 1928 and the harbour ceased commercially in 1929. It lay derelict until 1967 when it was taken over by Dysart Sailing Club who now lease it from local authority.

References

Bibliography

OSA. Swan & McNeill DYSART A ROYAL BURGH (1997), pp17-34. Gifford FIFE (1992), p288. Cunningham DYSART PAST AND PRESENT (1912).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DYSART HARBOUR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:21