There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Supplementary Information Updated
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- NT 28834 92616
- 328834, 692616
1859 conversion of former flour mill, rebuilt 1890; interior remodelled by William Williamson, 1902. Outstanding 2-storey and cellar, L-plan, Jacobean style multi-gabled public house on corner site retaining rare Art Nouveau interior with fine tiling, glazing and fittings. Red sandstone ashlar at ground with stugged, squared and snecked bull-faced rubble and contrasting red sandstone dressings above; harl to S and W. Base course, ground floor cornice, mutuled cornice to canted bay. Canted corner with roundheaded niche (see Notes) corbelled out to castellated tripartite oriel window; corbelled stack piercing gablehead; segmental dormer-windowheads; relief-carved panels. Timber transoms and mullions to bar windows.
Decorative coloured glass (see Interior) to principal ground floor windows; 8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows to 1st floor. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with some cans, ashlar-coped skews; overhanging eaves; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: ground floor bar with outstanding well-detailed interior including notable ceramics in almost original condition. Decorative plasterwork cornices and ceiling rose. Single large bar with decoratively tiled walls in 'art furniture' manner including 2 single tile Doulton panels depicting a 'fool' and a 'shepherdess'; mosaic floor divided into bordered panels, and 2 internal porches with 'Feuars Arms'. Mahogany, U-plan bar counter 18 metres long fronted with brown tilework and plain ceramic tiles to inside; back gantry encloses semi-octagonal office with long case clock and coloured glass panels. Large windows have 'Studio' school glass with arms of Scotland, England and Ireland, flowers and stylized buildings; internal porches have engraved glass panels. Toilet cubicle with marble urinals and very rare glass-panelled Doulton's cistern. Cellar with flour hoist.
Statement of Special Interest
The Feuars Arms is a fine purpose-built public house which retains an outstanding interior. The tiled walls, floor and bar counter combine to create a luxurious decorative space complemented by coloured glass and lamps. The architect William Williamson set up his own practice in Kirkcaldy in 1895, and by 1905 was living at The Croft and practicing from 220 High Street, both in Kirkcaldy. His work is evident in many buildings throughout Kirkcaldy and Fife, including schools, churches, domestic and municipal buildings. The Police Buildings (listed separately) at Brycedale Avenue, which he designed in 1900 is another fine example of his work.
The first Feuars Arms was built on the site of a flour mill, and incorporated some of the early fabric of that building, in 1859. It was rebuilt in 1902 for Mr Andrew Stewart, and subsequently remodelled by William Williamson in 1902 to create the fine interior which remains today (2008). The name is thought to derive from the Society of Feuars who worked as feu collectors for the Oswald family. The Society provided money to convert a small former flour mill into a public house and meeting place. The roundheaded niche at the NE corner formerly housed a 'Bundy clock' used by the tramcar operators to check their journey schedules. A similar clock can be seen at 29 St Clair Street (listed separately).
The Bogies Wynd entrance, which is no longer used, formerly led to a screened off sales compartment.
List description updated as part of Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-8.
Category changed from B to A in June 2008.
Dean of Guild Records, Ref 584 at Kirkcaldy Council Offices. Michael Slaughter (Ed) CAMRA Scotland's True Heritage Pubs (2007), pp57-8. John Gifford Buildings of Scotland, Fife (1992), p299. Walker Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.codex.geo.co.uk [accessed 1.2.08].
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COMMERCIAL STREET AND BOGIES WYND, FEUARS ARMS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 25/03/2019 01:25