Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ABERDOUR, 45, 47 MAIN STREET, WELLSIDE.LB3635

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
19/12/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Aberdour (Fife)
NGR
NT 19366 85660
Coordinates
319366, 685660

Description

18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house. Harled, painted stone surrounds to openings.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near symmetrical elevation. Central door with slim letterbox fanlight, flanking bipartite windows. 1st floor windows arranged above openings below, close to eaves.

NE ELEVATION: plain gable wall. Evidence of adjoined building to left and at between floor level.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: partially seen, 2002. Altered elevation; modern, late 20th century extension to ground floor. Door to centre of 1st floor, modern window to left.

SW ELEVATION: remaining wall of single storey building adjoining right hand corner, raggles of pitched roofline to left, further remains of former building at between floor level. Window to far left at 1st floor.

Modern timber door. Lower 2-pane, with upper 6-pane windows to SE ground floor, modern windows to rest. Pitched roof, grey slates. Ashlar coped skew to right gable of SW elevation, crowstepped gable to left. Gable apex stack to SW, enlarged gable apex stack to NE, clay cans, thackstanes. Remaining wall of single storey building to SW; ashlar coped skew with beaked skewput.

Statement of Special Interest

NOTES: The name 'Wellside' refers to a pilgrim's well which once stood in the vicinity of the house. In 1474 the Earl of Morton granted a charter to set up a hospital to care for pilgrims which was situated near the well and gave an acre of land for its foundation. In 1487 it was decided that the hospital should be staffed by the Sisters of the Third Order of St Francis and it is recorded that the nunnery occupied 3 acres to the north of Main Street opposite St Filans Church (see separate listing). The nunnery was short-lived as the reformation saw it dissolved in the mid 16th century. Although there is no physical evidence remaining of both well and nunnery, the name of 45-47 Main Street alludes to its past. Aberdour and surrounding land is divided between the old feudal estates of the Earls of Morton (Easter Aberdour) and the Earls of Moray (Wester Aberdour). Main Street is the main thoroughfare to Easter Aberdour. 45-47 Main Street has been altered over time, however it retains some of its original features including thackstanes and crowstepped gable, it was once possibly thatched.

References

Bibliography

REFERENCES: 1 st edition (Fife) Ordnance Survey map (1856). W Ross, ABERDOUR AND INCHCOLME (1885) pp47-52.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERDOUR, 45, 47 MAIN STREET, WELLSIDE.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 03:55