Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

ABERDOUR, SHORE ROAD, SEABANK HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB3632

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
02/05/1973
Supplementary Information Updated
24/03/2004
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Aberdour (Fife)
NGR
NT 19255 85024
Coordinates
319255, 685024

Description

Thomas Hamilton, 1831. 2-storey and basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan classical villa with imposing Doric portico and overhanging eaves. Squared coursed tooled stone. Ashlar base course, band course and eaves course. Raised and chamfered ashlar window margins, long and short surrounds to openings, raised ashlar vertical margins.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Single storey raised portico to central entrance bay; 3 steps to raised platform, paired Doric columns and pilasters supporting corniced entablature, door set back. Flanking near full height windows at ground (left window blind) with sloping hoodmoulds supported by stylised console brackets with drop pendants. 1st floor windows with panelled aprons, arranged above openings below (left window blind).

SE (GARDEN) ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-storey, 4-bay elevation with windows at each bay. Evenly spaced basement windows; (left window blind), iron bars to remaining. Piano Nobile windows with hoodmoulds as NE elevation. 1st floor windows with panelled aprons.

SW ELEVATION: double height bowed window to 3rd bay at basement and ground floor. Basement; door to left, window to centre, window to bowed 3rd bay, iron bars to windows. Ground floor window to left and centre, 3 Piano Nobile windows to bow. 3 evenly spaced windows at 1st floor arranged above ground floor windows, (right window blind).

NW ELEVATION: basement well to left; window to centre, door to right. Modern lean-to to off-centre right, inserted window to far left at ground floor. Single bay, stugged ashlar, flat roofed outshot to far right. Tall, centred rectangular 1st floor stair window, small inserted window to upper left.

Timber panelled door with inserted upper glass panels, 8-pane letterbox fanlight. Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Overhanging eaves with exposed brackets, piended roof, grey slate, central platform with square cluster of 16 polygonal stone cans.

INTERIOR: pilasters and cornicing to vestibule, stone flag floor, narrow arched roof to corridor leading to main hall. Panelled architraves to doorways with carved roundels to upper corners, timber panelled doors. Drawing room; original white marble fireplace, large bow window to SW, detailed cornice, anthemion and honeysuckle motif. Dining room; original black marble fireplace, detailed cornice, rinceau motif. Wide dogleg stair to central hall rising to 1st floor, painted cast-iron decorative balusters with timber handrail. Geometric stair window with coloured glass.

BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble walls enclosing house and grounds.

Statement of Special Interest

NOTES: Previously listed as Seabank Hotel. The house is attributed to Thomas Hamilton and is in the vein of the bold classical manner he favoured in the 1830s. Hamilton had already visited Aberdour in 1826 when he was asked by the Earl of Morton to design a steeple for the local parish church on the High Street, (now the church hall, 2002, see separate listing), the steeple was never executed. Seabank House was built as the dower house to nearby Fordell Castle for the Henderson family. It is one of the largest and most impressive houses in Aberdour and dominates the shoreline with its prominent position and monumental appearance. The 1841 census records that a Miss Henderson was in residence with 9 servants in attendance, one of whom was a footman. The house became disassociated with the Henderson family in the mid 19th century. During the late 19th and part of the 20th century the house was a hotel offering accommodation to the large number of tourists who came to Aberdour, the stretch of shoreline running immediately to the SE ensured its popularity. The house is now owned privately, (2002).

References

Bibliography

REFERENCES: National Census (1841). 1st edition (Fife) Ordnance Survey map (1856). J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND FIFE (1992) p65. E Simpson, ABERDOUR AND BURNTISLAND IN OLD PICTURE POSTCARDS (1994) p6. Additional information courtesy of the owner, (2002).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERDOUR, SHORE ROAD, SEABANK HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2018 15:44