Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KINGUSSIE RAILWAY STATION INCLUDING STATION HOUSE, FOOTBRIDGE AND SIGNAL BOXLB36282

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Kingussie
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NH 75621 416
Coordinates
275621, 800416

Description

William Roberts for Highland Railway, dated 1894. Long single storey S facing range on down platform linked to 2-storey station house at rear. Coursed grey rubble, contrasting tooled ashlar sandstone dressings. 20-bay frontage to platform with transomed bipartite and tripartite windows; deep 5-bay canopy supported by cast-iron columns with decorative brackets shelters E half of platform front (valences gone). 2 crowstepped entrances to rear.

STATION HOUSE: to rear; 3-bay with off centre door flanked by narrow window; paired windows in centre bay; long short detailing to windows and angles. 2- and 4-pane glazing throughout; end and ridge corniced stacks; crowstepped gables; slate roofs.

FOOTBRIDGE: (Map Ref: NH 75667, 00414): 1894, Highland Railway Company. Cast-iron footbridge with lattice balustrade; 2 lamp standards adapted to electric light.

SIGNAL BOX: (Map Ref: NH 75688, 00412): Mackenzie and Holland for Highland Railway, 1894 (extended 2007). Plank and strip weather-boarded rectangular signal box. 4-pane glazed windows to locking room. Signal cabin reached by metal forestair (originally of timber construction). Continuous fenestration to operating room with 4-pane glazing to track frontage, returning to gables. Projecting eaves and timber bargeboarding. Large extension to original half gabled porch extended to W by Network Rail in 2007, supported on metal frame. Original slate roof and timber forestair replaced in the early 1970s.

Statement of Special Interest

Kingussie is a substantial, well-detailed example of a late 19th century Highland Railway station and station house complex with associated footbridge and signal box. The decorated brackets and cast-iron columns to the glazed awning are good representatives of Highland Railway architecture and add to the wider interest. The line (and the earlier station on this site) was opened in 1863 by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway. The station was rebuilt by the Highland Railway Company in 1891-4.

Signal boxes are a distinctive and increasingly rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. Of more than 2000 signal boxes built across Scotland by 1948, around 150 currently survive (2013) with all pre-1948 mechanical boxes still in operation on the public network due to become obsolete by 2021. The 1894 signal box is a 'Type 3' box by McKenzie and Holland. This important signalling manufacturer provided signalling for much of the Highland Railway during the late 19th century. Other survivals of this once common type are the large example at Aviemore Station and a little altered box at Boat of Garten North on the preserved Strathspey Railway line (see separate listings).

List Description and statutory address revised as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1903). Gordon Biddle and O.S Nock, The Railway Heritage of Britain (1983) p171. The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box - A Pictorial History and Guide To Designs (1986). Peter Kay and Derek Coe, Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland (2010 - 3rd Edition).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINGUSSIE RAILWAY STATION INCLUDING STATION HOUSE, FOOTBRIDGE AND SIGNAL BOX

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/12/2019 07:33