Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KINMOUNT HOUSE AND CONSERVATORY, WITH OFFICE COURT AND GATEWAYSLB3582

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/08/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Cummertrees
NGR
NY 14025 68696
Coordinates
314025, 568696

Description

Sir Robert Smirke, 1813-20, William Burn executant architect. John Park, contracting mason. Greek revival mansion, mainly 2/3 storeys composed around tall square central tower. Polished ashlar. Elevations with variety of planes; tall inner, and lower outer bays, but otherwise severely plain originally; roof balustrades and urns by Barbour and Bowie circa 1900 add a baroque flavour. Large low service court to NW with conservatory on S block; pedimented gateways at E of house probably by Bowie, circa 1922. House essentially 7 x 5 bays (elevation symmetrical but not identical), twin-pilastered port-cochere central on long N elevation with round-arched tripartite doorway behind, small bipartites above, and flanking narrow semi-bays; outer tripartite ground floor windows to S in segmental-headed panels; otherwise, mainly sash windows with 12 or 9-pane glazing. 1st floor cill band; main cornice and blocking course; concealed roof. Office court entered from W; piend-roofed corner block at NE; blocked eaves.

INTERIOR: Most original ornament survives in excellent condition. Central full-height domed hall with 1st floor galleries, shallow-vaulted room at E, S-facing room with compartmented ceiling. Cantilevered stair in tower; good marble and timber chimneypieces.

Statement of Special Interest

Stone taken from Cove quarry, Kirkpatrick Fleming (New

Statistical Account, pp. 284-5).

NMRS - copy vol. of drawings by Alexander Johnstone includes one entitled "...Conservatory of Kinmount House"; not exactly as built.

References

Bibliography

S.R.O.SC15/65/1 p196ff;

David Walker in Scottish Georgian Society pub; SCOTTISH

PIONEERS OF THE GREEK REVIVAL, 1984;

ref to Barbour in RIBA nomination papers.

Thomas Shepherd, MODERN ATHENS, 1829. (views in Scotland).

incl. engraving.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINMOUNT HOUSE AND CONSERVATORY, WITH OFFICE COURT AND GATEWAYS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/09/2019 03:36