Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SEAFIELD AVENUE, STRATHISLA DISTILLERYLB35679

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
24/03/1988
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Burgh
Keith
NGR
NJ 42942 51129
Coordinates
342942, 851129

Description

Founded 1786, buildings mid 19th century and later. Irregular and varied range of associated distillery buildings; mainly grey rubble with tooled ashlar dressings. Slate roofs.

OFFICE BLOCK: single storey U-plan range converted from other uses, probably in the 1950s, when window openings enlarged and new doors slapped through with regular fenestration to court and pair entrances with modern timber canopies. Further rear entrance with shallow portico supported by pair slender cast-iron columns. Court closed at E by short length of coped rubble wall with pair cast-iron carriage gates and similar single pedestrian gate flanked by plain square rubble gate piers with stepped pyramidal caps installed c1980. Re-set armorials in E gable and projecting canted window.

KILNS: paired kilns with twin slated shaped roofs terminating in louvred pagoda apex vents with cast-iron weathervane to one and decorative finial to the other. Kiln E gable fronted by re-used waterwheel adjoining 4 storey building constructed as malt bans, converted in 1950s for other uses. Rubble stillhouse on S with double finialled gable, twin dormers and louvred ventilator. Roof alternate slated.

Rear elevations harled. Painted circular-section brick chimney to rear. NO 12 DUTY WAREHOUSE: probably c1890, 2-storey rubble warehouse with

5 gabled bays to Seafield Avenue and 4-bay return S elevation. Slate roofs; tiled ridge.

Statement of Special Interest

Distillery established in 1786 by George Taylor as Milltown Distillery. Much rebuilt probably c1880, c1890 and in 1950s. Re-used armorial datestone dated 1695 and other carved fragments set in E gables of office block taken from Milton Tower. Also late 19th century cast-iron drinking fountain with cup attached by length of chain, inscribed 'T Kennedy, Patentee, Kilmarnock'. Undershot waterwheel by James Abernethy, Aberdeen, dated 1881 re-used for decorative effect. Stillhouse one of oldest in industry.

References

Bibliography

John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977), p.180. THE NORTHERN SCOT, 12 September 1986, pp. 8-10 bi-centenary anniversary report). Moss & Hume, THE MAKING OF SCOTCH WHISKY, p.271.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SEAFIELD AVENUE, STRATHISLA DISTILLERY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 18:06