Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 42987 50802
342987, 850802


James Gillespie Graham, dated 1816. Alterations James

Matthews, Aberdeen 1875. Large perpendicular Gothic church;

5-bay buttressed long elevations at N and S; 4-stage tower at

W. Mixed rubble, tooled and polished sandstone ashlar


Wide E gable, central shallow entrance porch with angle

buttresses and crenellated wallhead. Tall hoodmoulded blind

flanking windows; squat traceried window above to light

gallery. Set-off buttresses to long elevations with

hoodmoulded perpendicular traceried windows; crenellated

wallhead; crowstepped gables; cross finial at E; slate roof.

4-stage tower in centre W gable; N and S entrances in base

(blind at N, dated at S). Angle buttresses; diminishing

stages; crenellated wallhead with crocketted angle pinnacles.

Clock faces at N, S and W set in Gothic Perpendicular

detailed frames.

INTERIOR: entrance lobby at E with mirrored stairs to

gallery; horse-shoe gallery supported by cast-iron cluster

columns with cusped panelled front with centre gilded

Seafield coat-of-arms.

Organ in carved case at W fronted by carved and panelled

rectangular pulpit reached by short flight steps with brass


Mural aumbry of circa 1500, said to be Sacrament House, from

old Keith church (formerly sited in present burial ground)

re-set in W wall to left of pulpit. Aumbry initialled I O

with worn inscription, infilled with carved monogram possibly

former finial.

ENCLOSING WALLS AND GATEPIERS: church surrounded by coped

rubble walls; entrance flanked with square ashlar gatepiers

with pyramidal caps; pair cast-iron carriage gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Sacrament House from pre-Reformation church which formerly

stood in ld burial ground (and replaced by present St Rufus

church) re-set as memorial to James Duncan of Keith, died

1970. Initialled IO for (?) James Ogilvie (Ogilvie family

occupied Milton Tower).

Bellcote from old church re-used on Botriphnie Parish Church.

Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88



Scottish Record Office CH2/342/9/221. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT

XIII (1842), P. 391. ABERDEEN JOURNAL, April 28, 1875.

Advertisement for tenders. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF


251. Angus J Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES IN MORAY (1981),

p. 31.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHURCH ROAD, ST RUFUS CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), ENCLOSING WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 23:02