1831, Father Walter Lovi; dome, enlarged sanctuary and
internal decoration by C J Menart, Glasgow, 1916. Prominently
sited, neo-classical/Baroque cruciform church incorporating
2-storey presbytery at rear (W). Polished ashlar E front,
tooled rubble flanks with ashlar margins and dressings.
3-bay pilastered entrance front, centre bay slightly advanced
with 2-stages, each delineated by paired pilasters, upper
stage pedimented and flanked each side by bold decorative
scrolled consoles; centre entrance with pedimented doorpiece
flanked by corniced panels with inset round-headed niches
each housing statue. Substantial octagonal facetted copper
covered concrete some spans crossing with shaped lunette in
each face and apex cross finial. 2 round-headed windows in N
and S transepts. Rear 2 bays incorporate presbytery with 2
windows each floor including dormerless attic in W gable.
Projecting 2-storey canted window at SW; 2-pane glazing.
Ridge stack; slate roofs.
INTERIOR OF CHURCH: 1916 Corinthian pilastered interior;
pilastered and pedimented panel incorporates Francois Dubois'
painting, 'The Incredulity of St Thomas' as altarpiece; deep
main cornice; simple plaster details to dome interior.
Gallery at E end with plain front; pine pews.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Opened for worship 1 August 1831. Date of church also said to
be 1828 (NSA). Inscrption on frontage reads 'Columna et
Firmametum Veritatis'. Father Walter Lovi was priest at Keith
between 1835-1837 and is reputed to have designed RC churches
at Wick (1837), Braemar (1839) and Chapelton, Glenlivet
(1840, dem. 1897).
Dubois' painting gifted to Father Lovi for church by Charles
X of France.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88