Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KIRKGATE, IRVINE OLD PARISH CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB35409

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Burgh
Irvine
NGR
NS 32205 38672
Coordinates
232205, 638672

Description

1774. Large, rectangular classical box church. 5-bay front with dominant 6-stage tower, 5-bay sides and 6-bay rear. Rubble, part rendered, sandstone ashlar tower and dressings, rusticated quoins, eaves band and cornice. Round-arched windows lighting gallery and upper level, smaller segmental-arched windows under gallery to SE. Evidence of raised wallhead in masonry change.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 6-stage tower advanced; 1st stage round-arched door with segmental fanlight, Venetian window above with blinded side lights, cornice above. 2nd stage, square with round-arched windows framed by engaged columned Roman Doric aedicule with triglyphs, mutules and roundel window in tympanum, another in base of stage. 3rd stage, square with decorated pilaster quoins, urn finials and large square clock face on 3 sides (dated 1803), window to 4th side. 4th stage, octagonal, round-arched louvred openings set in frame of engaged Ionic columns supporting curved architrave and dentil cornice. 5th stage, octagonal, round-arched openings alternating blinded and louvred, set in frame of pilaster strips, projecting cornice above supporting balustrade of 6th stage, octagonal with round-arched openings. Cornice above with octagonal, ashlar spire, weathervane. Tall windows flanking tower, outer bays with regular fenestration.

SE ELEVATION: 6 regularly fenestrated bays, round-arched windows, with round-arched door between centre bays.

NE AND SW ELEVATIONS: 5-bay, round-arched door to centre with window above, regular fenestration in flanking bays.

Multi-pane glazing in sash and case windows, stained glass to others. Grey slate, piended roof. Panelled, 2-leaf doors with radial round- arched fanlights.

INTERIOR: to be seen during consultation.

GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: graveyard containing fine classical gravestones and wall-mounted monuments, obelisks and urn- mounted Greek style monuments predominating, of 19th century date. Rubble boundary walls. Corniced gatepiers to Kirkgate entrance with cone-finialled gate pilasters and decorative 2-leaf wrought-iron gates, corniced ashlar piers to Kirk Vennel entrance. Openings between Kirk Vennel and Cemetery and cemetery and graveyard with pilaster-pedimented red sandstone ashlar piers; decorative wrought-iron gate.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally seated for 1800. Repaired in 1830, refurbished in 1897. Warner bell dated 1797.

References

Bibliography

G Hay THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES, pp84, 165, 175, 181, 249. Groome's GAZETTEER, Vol IV, pp324-6.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KIRKGATE, IRVINE OLD PARISH CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 21:24