Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NESS WALK, CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (EPISCOPAL)LB35330

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
21/05/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Inverness
NGR
NH 66421 44883
Coordinates
266421, 844883

Description

Alexander Ross, 1866-69. English Middle Pointed with French

outline, snecked pink Conon freestone rubble with cream

covesea stone dressings, roofed wih Westmoreland green

slates. Narthex, flanked by square-plan towers, nave and

aisles, slightly projecting transepts, choir and

demi-hexagonal apse-ended chancel, octagonal chapter-house

at liturgical NE Liturgical W front, nave gable flanked

by towers. Main entrance recessed in arch carried by 3

orders of shafts rising from panelled dado and crowned by

pierced traceried gablet, in tympanum, high-relief sculptured

group of Portland stone entrance flanked by piers with

crocketted pinnacles. Gable flanked by 3-stage tower with

angle buttresses, spires not yet built. Sculpture of W front,

by Earp, London, 1876, tympanum and statues of St Peter,

Paul, Andrew and John the Baptist.

Flanks low buttressed aisles and clerestory. Chapter house at

liturgical NE, octagonal buttresses.

Interior. Narthex divided from nave by glazed stone screen,

baptistry under liturgical SW tower. 4-bay nave arcade

carried on monolith columns of Peterhead red granite with

foliated freestone capitals, arches have hoodmoulds

springing from sculptured corbels. 2-light windows in aisles,

3-light clerestory windows. Transepts full height of nave;

arches at crossing rising full height of roof carried on

clustered columns; 5-light traceried windows in transept

gables. Aisled choir, apsidal chancel with 3 2-light

traceried windows at liturgical E end. Roof principals rise

from corbels, panelled wagon roof of varnished red pine

with stencilled patterns intended for colour decoration.

Sculptured corbels, Andrew Davidson and Alexander Ross,

1876.

Pulpit designed by Alexander Ross, executed by D & A

Davidson, Inverness, 1869, Caen stone, trefoil plan,

resting on columns of Abriachan granite, sides carved

with bas-relief panel and angels, separated by columns of

green marble, green marble cope.

Altar, 1869, front with trefoil headed arches with serpentine

marble shafts, panels of alabaster decorated with Christian

symbols in alabaster and crystal.

Reredos, Earp, 1869. Caen stone, 3 arches borne on Purbeck

marble columns and enclosing panels carved in high relief,

centre surmounted by carved and crocketted gablet, flanked

by buttresses surmounted by figures of angels.

Lectern, 1879, brass. Bishop's Throne, Andrew Fraser,

Inverness, 1869, carved oak cathedra.

Choir stalls, C Hodgson Fowler, Durham, and Alexander Ross,

1909, open carved screens of Austrian wainscott oak. Screen,

1923 as War Memorial, carved oak, Sir Robert Lorimer.

Font, James F Redfern, 1871, closely based on font in Church

of Our Lady, Copenhagen, by Thorwaldsen, marble, kneeling

angel bearing shell. Altar rails, Hart, Son, Peard & Co

London, 1869, brass. Mural Monument to Bishop William Hay

(d. 1707) 18th century marble tablet with swagged drapery.

Bust of Bishop Robert Eden (1804-86), Andrew Davidson, 1900,

white marble. Sedilia, 1871.

Stained Glass, Hardman & Co, nave and chancel windows,

1869; liturgical W window, 1887; liturical north transept

window, 1877; S transept window, 1887. Tiles, Minton, 1869.

Organ, Hill & Son, London, 1869. Bells, Warner & Son, London,

1869.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical Building in use as such.

References

Bibliography

INVERNESS ADVERTISER July 27, 1866; INVERNESS COURIER March

16, 1876, June 29, 1876, September 6, 1877 YEAR BOOK OF THE

EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN SCOTLAND; ed Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER

OF SCOTLAND (1883); Alexander MacKenzie, GUIDE TO INVERNESS

(1903) and information courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland

Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NESS WALK, CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (EPISCOPAL)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/12/2018 14:03