Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HIGH STREET, TOWN HOUSELB35260

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
21/05/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Inverness
NGR
NH 66680 45186
Coordinates
266680, 845186

Description

Matthews & Lawrie, 1878-82. Flemish-Baronial, Overwood

sandstone ashlar. 2 tall storeys and attic. 7-bay front.

Centre advanced, at ground floor arched entrance in gableted

porch, at 1st floor bipartite mullioned and transomed

window with trefoil heads to lights set in squareheaded

recess and surmounted by carved arms of Burgh of Inverness,

at attic, gablet containing bipartite window with arched

lights, set between angle finials surmounted by heraldic

beasts and flanked by circular angle turrets with tall

conical fishscale slated roofs. Outer windows, bipartite

mullioned and transomed with trefoil-headed lights at ground

floor, bipartite mullioned and transomed with arched lights

set in continuous arched hoodmoulds at 1st floor. Circular angle bartizans with octagonal caphouses with tall octagonal fishscale

slated roofs. Pierced parapet. Spirelet in centre, now truncated.

In W gable, panel containing burgh arms of 1686, in E

gable, panel containing arms of Charles II, both removed

from Old Bridge of Inverness Notable interior;

groin-vaulted vestibule leading to staircase lit by stained

glass windows (by Adam & Small, Glasgow); public hall with

panelled and painted ceiling and stained glass windows;

Council Chamber enlarged, John Hinton Gall, 1894, with

panelled ceiling; stained glass commemorative of Diamond

Jubilee, designed by J H Stewart, executed by William Meikle

& Son, Glasgow; 1898. Extension to south, James R Rhind,

1904, following style of original. Front to Castle Street,

3 storeys, 7 bays with shops at ground floor; change of

building line at join of extension to old work masked by

turret corbelled out from wall. Slated roofs. Ornate

cast-iron lamp standards flanking entrance.

Statement of Special Interest

The replacement of the previous Town House of 1708 on the

same site originated in a bequest of $6,000 for a public hall

from Mr Grant of Bught. The architects were appointed in

1876 after competition. The Commission for the extension of

1904 was awarded after competition.

References

Bibliography

ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, ed. Groome (1883): Mackenzie,

GUIDE TO INVERNESS, p 26-31; INVERNESS COURIER, Feb 5,

1904 and June 10 1904; and Information Courtesy of Buildings

of Scotland Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, TOWN HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/07/2019 02:13