Statement of Special Interest
51-57 Grant Street is a good surviving example of an early 19th century classically detailed residential and commercial property. It is distinctive in the streetscape because of the acute-angle corner site and it groups well with other 19th century buildings in its immediate vicinity. The exterior of the building largely maintains its early 19th century form and simple classical details, with a distinctive bowed bay, raised sandstone margins, banded string course and banded eaves course, piended corner roof and twin doors.
Age and Rarity
Grant Street, Inverness was largely developed from 1808 onwards when a wooden bridge was built across the Ness between Waterloo Place and Grant Street in 1808.
51-57 Grant Street occupies a V-plan, corner site on the south side of road. The building is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1874, and the footprint of building with a yard to the rear remains largely unchanged since this date. The building is not shown on John Wood's town plan of Inverness of 1821, indicating that it was likely to have been built between 1821 and 1850. The proportions and stonework detailing of the building indicate the earlier end of that period.
55-57 Grant Street was occupied by John Ross, cabinet maker in 1873 (The Inverness Directory, 1873-74) and as a licensed grocer for much of the later 19th century. The business changed hands in 1910 (The Scotsman, 03 December 1910) and remained in use as a grocers and associated dwelling house until at least 1928 (Inverness Burgh Directory, 1928). The building continues to operate on a commercial basis with shops at the ground floor (2016).
Architectural or Historic Interest
The property has been largely reconfigured internally with no internal fixtures or fittings of particular note evident at the site visit carried out in 2016. The staircase at 57 Grant Street has a scrolled timber handrail and is typical for a property of this date.
The use of a bowed end to the building on a V-plan corner site is a distinctive feature of this building and is used to address the irregular layout of the site. The enclosed courtyard area to the rear with capped sandstone gatepiers at the entrance evidences the commercial use of the building during the 19th century.
The internal plan form in terms of room layout has been partially re-worked and there is no particular internal interest in listing terms.
Technological excellence or innovation, material or design quality
The simple classical proportions of 51 to 57 Grant Street, with its bowed corner bay, raised margins, banded string course and banded eaves course detailing mark the building out as an example of early 19th classical burgh architecture in this area of Inverness, away from the town centre.
51-57 Grant Street is among the earliest surviving buildings in the street with classical proportions and detailing indicative of an earlier 19th century date. It is a distinctive in the streetscape because it is prominently sited on an acute-angle corner site and has a bowed corner bay with a piended roof. It forms a good group with later 19th century buildings in the vicinity.
None known at present.
2.3 Close Historical Associations
There are no known associations with a person or event of national importance at present (2016).
Statutory address, category of listing changed from B to C, and listed building record revised in 2016. Previously listed as '51-57 Grant Street (Odd Numbers Only)'.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.