East Lodge, Bridge and entrance arch 1863-4.
Baronial gate lodge of 2 storeys over raised casement with
projecting wing at S forming T-plan. Drum tower projects at
NW abutting railway track. Rubble, tooled ashlar dressings.
Entrance from railway track through moulded doorway in drum
tower; also via forestair masked by quadrant wall in S gable
Pair windows break wallhead to N under crowstepped gablets;
similar fenestration at S flanking small stair turret
corbelled out at 1st floor. Continuous string course links
cills and hoodmoulds at 1st floor. Small dormer in drum tower
fishscale slating to bellcast conical roof terminating
with cast-iron weathervane.
8-pane glazing; crowstepped gables; coped end stacks; slate
roofs. Railway bridge: 1863-4, single span coursed rubble
railway bridge with tooled ashlar dressings. Ashlar skewed
arch ring; crenellated balustrade round terminal end buttress
piers with shallow circular caps; similar end piers.
Entrance arch: tall round-headed tooled ashlar granite
archway with shaped wallhead with flanking dummy crenellated
bartizans corbelled out each side. Centre coat of arms;
arch blinked to lodge by coped wall with doorway; further
length similar walling at S.
Statement of Special Interest
Inverness and Perth Junction Railway routed via Forres to
Inverness in 1863-4. Lodge served as private railway station
to Castle Grant and erected by the railway company "in
acknowledgement of the great facilities given by the
Earl of Seafield in the formation of the railway through his
estates." Formerly known as North Lodge.