Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 50426 15157
350426, 615157


John & Thomas Smith of Darnick, 1832; widened 1882. 2 segmental arches across River Teviot with central panelled pilaster above curved 'beehive' cutwater. Yellow sandstone: bull-faced base; polished ashlar voussoirs, pilaster and parapet; squared elsewhere. Band course; chamfered ashlar cope to parapet.

Statement of Special Interest

An elegantly proportioned 19th century stone bridge in a prominent position approaching the centre of Hawick from the North. Originally comprising four arches and named 'New Bridge', it was funded by the Turnpike Trustees, and made possible the construction of a new trunk road: prior to its existence there had only been one other similar crossing of the Teviot, in the west of the town.

In 1882 it was widened to assist traffic flow; the work cost £1,300, of which the Town Council contributed £500 and the North British Rail Company donated £25. At this time the corrugated iron parapets were removed and the width of the present pavement was added to each arch. The reinforcements now visible beneath each of the remaining arches reflect the original width of the bridge prior to this work.

The north and south arches were later filled in during the making-up of the lower levels to meet the main street. The bridge continued to carry the main road to Edinburgh until 2000, when it was pedestrianised in preparation for the opening of a new traffic bridge several metres downstream to the east in April the following year.

The bridge's architect-builders, the brothers John and Thomas Smith, were highly regarded by Sir Walter Scott and other local gentry. They continued the practice of their father John Smith, master mason at Darnick, from c.1816, and gave a paper on the building of bridges in whinstone to the RIBA in 1837, despite not being members. They were financially ruined when their bridge at Ashiestiel, the largest rubble span attempted to that date, collapsed during construction; it was later successfully rebuilt. List description revised and category changed from B to C(S) following resurvey (2008).



Shown (before widening) on Ordnance Survey Town Plan (1857). Shown (after widening) on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1897). Charles Alexander Strang, Borders and Berwick (RIAS, 1994), p143. R E Scott, Companion to Hawick and District, 3rd Edition (1998), p32. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p354.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH BRIDGE OVER RIVER TEVIOT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 04:08