Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HIGH STREET, THE HORSELB34645

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/03/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Hawick
NGR
NT 50428 14790
Coordinates
350428, 614790

Description

William Francis Beattie, 1914, completed by his father, Thomas Beattie, 1921. Prominently sited bronze equestrian statue of mounted standard bearer, situated on oval-plan stone pedestal and positioned at critical junction in town centre.

Statue of standard bearer sitting astride horse, holding unfurled flag aloft in right hand. Horse with right foreleg raised and head bowed.

Pedestal with deep plinth; base course, cornice. Inscription to front (S) TERIBUS YE TERIODIN with date 1514 above and town coat-of-arms plaque above. Other inscriptions to sides (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

Prominently positioned in the centre of the town, this well-detailed sculpture celebrates one of the most famous events in the town's history and is one of its major landmarks. Also known as the 1514 Memorial, it was erected in 1914 to celebrate the 1514 defeat of Lord Dacre's English Army at Hornshole, two miles away, by a party of local youths. The youths then brought a flag back from the battle site. A replica of this flag is carried each year around the boundaries of the common lands, borne by the standard bearer or 'Cornet' and accompanied by other riders. Known as the Common Riding, this is the major festival for the town, and The Horse has become a focus of the festivities, being decked with blue and gold ribbons by each year's Cornet since 1923.

The inscription to the side of the pedestal reads: 'ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE THE RETURN OF THE HAWICK CALLANTS FROM HORNSHOLE IN 1514, WHEN AFTER THE BATTLE OF FLODDEN THEY ROUTED THE ENGLISH MARAUDERS AND CAPTURED THEIR FLAG.' The inscription at the opposite side commemorates the unveiling in 1914. The face of the rider was reputedly modelled on that of the 1888 Cornet, A H Drummond.

Public subscriptions for the statue reached £1,440 (not the £1,514 hoped for) and the statue was unveiled by Lady Sybil Scott, younger daughter of the Earl of Dalkeith. It was moved slightly, amid great controversy, during re-routing of the roadways in 2003.

William Francis Beattie (1886-1918) was born in Hawick and based in Edinburgh. He served in the First World War as a major with the 73rd Battery of the 5th Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery and was killed in action on 3 October 1918. This sculpture was completed by his father Thomas. List description revised following resurvey (2008).

References

Bibliography

Shown on 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1917). Charles Alexander Strang, Borders and Berwick (RIAS, 1994), pp142-3. R E Scott, Companion to Hawick and District, 3rd Edition (1998), pp26-7. Alex F Young, Old Hawick (2004), p61. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p359. Douglas Scott, A Hawick Word Book, draft version, http://www.astro.ubc.ca/people/scott/book.pdf (26 February 2008), p532.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, THE HORSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 14:34