Gillespie Kidd and Coia, 1951-4. Large Scandinavian - inspired church with aisled nave, low tower-chancel and shallow presbytery all with parallel steep-pitched roofs at different levels, with presbytery at right angles linked by transept. Red brick with sandstone dressings.
CHURCH: 10-bay nave and aisles, tower chancel one and two windows wide at different levels, and shallow windowless rectangular-plan roof-glazed sanctuary, shallow projection on porch. Windows in aisles small rectangular, in clearstory and tower 'gothic' triangles. Circular windows liturgical W end of nave, porch, and in Liturgical E end of tower. Liturgical W end of nave has lean-to aisles expressed, porch with paired double doors and giant steeply pitched pedimental gable containing pair of narrow rectangular windows with circular windows above.
Doorways flanked by small square windows, repeated to right and left of porch. Prominent sandstone skewputs and gable heads with diagonal brick coursing below skews, which extend well above roof line on geographical S a tall transept, with similar details to the church links to the presbytery. Transpet flat roofed, with tapering octagonal wooden ventilator.
INTERIOR: concrete ribs in Gothic arched form divide bays, with smaller arches in aisles. Plastered pointed vault above clearstory level. Stations of the Cross between ribs for 7 bays on each side, by William Crosbie. Chancel arch inset in basic frame, with sanctuary arch and reredos echoing form. Plain wooden pews, silvered light fittings and sanctuary lamp, latter by Jack Mortimer. Alabaster pulpit.
PRESBYTERY: low two storey 12 bay building with square windows.
PLINTH, WALLS AND RAILINGS: church sits on brick-faced plinth, surrounded by railings, which continue as mixed walls and railings round remaining sides. Railings mid steel, part echoing C R Mackintosh.