Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ST PATRICK'S RC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY, ORANGEFIELD AND HOLMSCROFT STREETLB34173

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
08/06/1979
Local Authority
Inverclyde
Planning Authority
Inverclyde
Burgh
Greenock
NGR
NS 27124 76086
Coordinates
227124, 676086

Description

1934-5 Gillespie, Kidd and Coia, architects.

CHURCH: Built on N-S axis on site sloping down from S. Steel frame encased in concrete. North part of Church has halls and rooms below. Exterior of church red facing brick, Dutch style. Nave has deep kerb roof on brick-clad internal pillars, flat-roofed aisles with low-brick side walls. N elevation reflects profile on roof. Entrance to church at first floor level, approached by perron. Front of perron wavy on plan, with round-headed brick doorway with moulded architrave extended up as panel with ragged edges. Door panelled 2-leaf, flanked by narrow leaded windows. Centre part of wall of perron extended to form parapet with wavy profile, flanked by iron-railed platforms and stairs. Concrete copes to walls. Church entered through pair of round-headed doors with linked deeply moulded architraves. Doors 2-leaf, 10 panel. Central features rising from between doors with BAS RELIEF panel of St Patrick blessing a child, floriated BAS RELIEF above linked to brick bands of architrave, with tall stylised BAS RELIEF standing figure of St Patrick flanked by vertical bands of raised brickwork. Pair narrow round-headed windows above figure, with raised brickwork architraves. Heavy cross finial with bronze cross on face. Stone-coped skews above bands of diagonally-set stretcher bricks. Sculpture by Archibald Dawson, Head of Sculpture at Glasgow School of Art.

NAVE: W fronts 4 tall square-headed dormers with brick faces, copper heads and roofs and slated sides. Shallow pilasters flank tender-framed plain leaded lights. Dormers set back from wall-head of aisle with flanking skews leading down to pilasters which protrude above wall-head. On W front centre 4 bays have tripartite windows with tall narrow leaded lights. At N end semicircular flat-roofed bay lit at church and hall level by 3 tall narrow leaded lights. At S end architraved doorway to church with 2-leaf replacement door, then tetrastyle peristyle linking to presbytery.

CHANCEL: is one bay, lower than nave, with similar, smaller dormer. S gable again reflects roof profile, plain, with single narrow round-headed window. Window has architrave with brick vertical bands extending to gable head, projecting stone lintel and moulded stone head extended as stone band to gable head. Brickwork similar to that on N gable. Skewputts sculptured in high relief with angel figures.

E front has at S side flat-roofed porch lit by tall narrow leaded windows with beyond screen wall extending E with raised head in Art Deco style with brick sunburst in head. Main roof pitches slated.

INTERIOR: Wagon-profile ceiling plastered. Arcades of brick-clad pillars on both sides. Altar white marble, pilastered front with circular mosaic panel inset. Green and white marble altar steps with low flanking walls. Baldachin with slender reeded columns, gilded capitals, round arched head with gabled spandrels and gold and silver dove motif. Altar rail elaborate 17th century style. Pulpit low art-deco style with brick base and light wood superstructure. Simple wooden pews. Confessionals to L and R of chancel with round-headed doors of sub-Mackintosh design including tall narrow leaded cross windows.

PRESBYTERY: 2-storey, U plan brick piended slated roof slightly bellcast with broad eaves, oriented E-W. 6 bay, with entrance bay second from N front. Entrance bay advanced 2-storey, with round-headed architraved door at ground, approached by shallow stair. Single window above set in vertical band of projecting brickwork. Curved head. Advanced bay to right of entrance at ground with centre tripartite flanked by single windows, brick mullions between centre and side windows. Glazing at ground multi-pane. First floor window replaced by 3 large pane, casement. S front end pairs of bays advanced, two tripartite windows on ground at left and at first both sides. On right doorway to left of advanced bay with brick architrave embracing single-light window. Centre bays stair bays with deep windows, deeper at right. Original multi-pane glazing except at first floor on left. Five prominent brick chimney stacks with regular patterns of projecting bricks, concrete copes. At E end of presbytery single-storey link to church with strip glazing. Link obscured from N by peristyle. Brick boundary walls to N and S, latter with stone base and brick cope.

Statement of Special Interest

In ecclesiastical use. Opened in December 1935. Upgraded 10.12.91.

References

Bibliography

The Builder CLVI 1939 pp 152-4 (plan, ills). Catholic Directory for Scotland. Souvenir Brochure 1935. RWK Rogerson JACK COIA, HIS LIFE AND WORK pp 20-22.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST PATRICK'S RC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY, ORANGEFIELD AND HOLMSCROFT STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 15:43