Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 24119 77619
224119, 677619


Alexander Cullen, dated 1908. Large 3-storey school with Glasgow Art Nouveau details comprised of 2 rectangular blocks linked at N corner, and small janitor's house to NW. Pink sandstone, coursed and squared rubble with polished ashlar bands and dressings. Stylised pilaster strips framing details; geometric Art Nouveau details in red sandstone.

SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: 10-bay. 6 centre bays with recessed 2nd floor behind parapet, catslide roof with overhanging eaves and exposed rafters, regular fenestration; 2 wallhead stacks. Advanced penultimate bays flanking as bowed stair towers with tall parapets and half-conical roofs, squared doorways inscribed 'BOYS' and 'GIRLS', 3 tall vertical strip windows divided by pilasters above. Gabled outer bays with

windows to inner faces enclosed by pilaster strips with geometric

detail to gablehead.

SE ELEVATION: 9-bay. 3-bay gable to outer right, geometric detail to gablehead. Regular fenestration.

NW ELEVATION: as above. Gabled rear wing projecting to outer left with modern additions and secondary external stair.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 9-bay with regular fenestration; rear wing projection to outer right, gabled on return.

JANITOR'S HOUSE: single storey, 3-bay, gabled janitor's house to NW; doorway to centre, semicircular pediment with geometric detail above rising from corbels and breaking eaves. Bipartite windows to outer bays.

Timber sash and case windows with mostly 3-pane upper sashes and 6-pane lower sashes. Slate roof with lead flashings; 2 wallhead stacks to SW (see above), 1 to rear. Squared eaves gutter and dated gutterheads.

INTERIOR: not seen 1993.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low rubble wall to front, square-plan gatepiers with flat domed coping, plain iron railings and gates.

Statement of Special Interest

The front facade with its glazed bowed stair towers is a direct quotation of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's Scotland Street School in Glasgow (1904-6).



THE BUILDER, July 17, 1909. F A Walker 'THE SOUTH CLYDE ESTUARY' RIAS Guide, Edinburgh, 1986, p140.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BINNIE STREET, FORMER GOUROCK PRIMARY SCHOOL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 02:56