House possible of late medieval origin, retaining a significant amount of early fabric. Pair parallel blocks linked by screen walls enclosing courtyard. Rubble-built (S block harled), ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Restoration by National Trust for Scotland throughout 1980s.
N RANGE: thought to be 15th or (perhaps more probably) 16th century. Renaissance details possible additions to a pre-existing block; crow-stepped; 2 storeys, upper windows break through eaves and have pedimented dormer heads; chamfered openings; conical-roofed drum turret st NE outer angle with shot-holes; (? reconstructed) forestair at E end of courtyard; 3 doors to court at ground; 3 coped apex stacks, that to W the most substantial.
S RANGE: mid 18th century in appearance but harl may conceal earlier work; 2 storeys with attic, symmetrical 3-bay S front, steps to central doorway, key-stoned lugged architrave with pediment; sashes with lying-panes, pair piended canted dormers with similar glazing (? circa 1840), roof perhaps contemporary, without skews and projecting over gables; pair end stacks. Handsome interior with 18th century timber stair. Small garden to front.
SCREEN WALLS: W wall looks largely rebuilt and modern, though likely to be on early footings/foundations; E wall also shaws signs of rebuilding, though less recently; wide round-arched renaissance gateway central, with renaissance moulding, perhaps dated by 1647 pediment set over bolection-moulded frame above and associated with Hamilton crest and initials "RH" (the family acquired the estate in 1593); coping slabs with moulded ends.