House; of varying dates from 1720, on earlier site and
possibly incorporating earlier fragments. Large 2-storey
south facing U-plan house with inner courtyard, and service
wings extending north flanking walled courtyard. All harled
with ashlar and rendered dressings.
Tall centre symmetrical south facing 2-storey and attic,
5-bay block, dated 1720; wallhead and attic storey raised in
1897, when various carved stones were inserted above each 1st
floor window. 3 gabletted dormers; corniced end stacks.
2 storey, 2-bay wings flank centre south block at east and
west with east and west canted bay windows rising full
height. Rear wings have cross wing enclosing inner court
reached through advanced centre open pedimented bay with
narrow arched entrance and flanking rusticated rendered
pilasters with eagle finials and centre round-headed 1st
floor window. Re-sited modern asymmetrically placed porticoed
entrance to main house (dated 1956) within inner court.
Projecting rear service wings each include 3 garages slapped
in ground floors, with rendered surrounds with rusticated
keystoned detailing. Mainly 12-pane glazing; corniced end and
ridge stacks; crow-stepped gables; piended and gabled slate
roofs. Outer courtyard enclosed by high coped rubble walls
with centre entrance at north flanked by pair rusticated
gate piers with moulded copes and ball finials.
Interior: some changes in ground floor plans owing to various
additions and to principal entrance being moved from centre
south to north side of house. Large centre ground floor south
hall enlarged and converted to dining room, with inserted
party wall screening centre stairs. Later 18th century west
drawing room has swagged plaster ceiling mouldings enclosing
de Wit allegorical painting removed from Rosehaugh (Avoch
parish; W Flockhart, 1893, demolished circa 1972). Similar
room at east with later 18th century simple moulded ceiling
cornice; various later 18th century chimney pieces, doors and
doorcases. Wide later 18th century stairs with turned wood
balusters, leading to 1st floor landing and long 1st floor
drawing room, taking up all centre south five bays. Ornate
later 18th century Adamesque moulded ceiling in blue and
white, divided into 3 deep compartments; later 18th century
chimney pieces (wood) with simple swags; small late 19th
century gallery over centre door, decorated as ceiling.
Walled gardens; ornamental walled garden extends to west of
house with (1956) niches containing garden statuary. Further
large walled garden with high coped rubble walls and ornate
wrought iron gates stands to north of house.