Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

59 MACHRIE ROAD, BARLIA TERRACE, CASTLEMILK HOUSE STABLESLB33720

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 60862 59417
Coordinates
260862, 659417

Description

Attributed to David Hamilton (see Notes). Circa 1800 Classical former stable block to now-demolished Castlemilk House comprising quadrangular plan of 4 ranges around courtyard; converted Elder & Cannon architects 2005-07 on behalf of Glasgow Building Preservation Trust to multi-purpose community facility.

PRINCIPAL (NORTH) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 9-bays with slightly advanced central and outer bays. Single storey with single storey and attic gabled outer bays with coach house openings to ground and Diocletian windows to attic. Diagonally droved ashlar with polished dressings and raised margins. Base course, cill course, eaves band, round-arched openings. Impressive central 3-stage tower with rusticated pend at ground and octagonal top stage with bays divided by pilasters; slated dome surmounted by balustered cupola with weathervane.

COURTYARD ELEVATION OF NORTH RANGE: Elder and Cannon 2005-07 3-storey glass and steel addition.

Variety of multi-pane glazing patterns to timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates.

INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised to form multi-purpose community facility (2005-07). Contains oak chimneypiece relocated from Castlemilk House (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

The former Castlemilk Stables is a good example of a Classical style stable block and it is one of the few remaining structures relating to the Castlemilk Estate. It is an important architectural survival in this part of Glasgow. The attribution to David Hamilton, one of the leading architects of the time, is based on a perspective watercolour drawing of the stable block signed by him which was shown to the Glasgow Building Preservation Trust during the conversion works (see their website for further information). The building depicted is understood to be somewhat different from what was constructed. Adding further weight to the stable block attribution is the knowledge that Hamilton is also attributed to later 1830s remodelling and extension work at the now-demolished Castlemilk House.

David Hamilton (1768-1843) was an important Glasgow-based architect who worked mostly in the West of Scotland and who made a significant contribution to Scotland's early 19th century architectural character.

Located a short distance to the South of Castlemilk House, the stable block would have been intended to be seen and to impress visitors with its grandeur. It was a visible symbol of the wealth and taste of the owner. Constructed in the then-fashionable Classical style, its quadrangular plan-form and symmetrical principal elevation are characteristic of the rationality associated with this period.

Glasgow Corporation bought the Castlemilk Estate in 1938 as part of their plans to create additional housing on the outskirts of the city. Building work began in 1954 and Castlemilk Stables is one of the few historic buildings to survive. Castlemilk House dated from the late medieval period and was extended to a castellated mansion in the 18th and 19th centuries. It was demolished in 1972. The enormous 19th century oak chimneypiece depicting the 1429 Siege of Orleans which was formerly located in the main hall of Castlemilk House was saved during the demolition of the house and was relocated to the foyer of the stable block as part of the 2005-07 conversion.

The 2005-07 conversion by Elder & Cannon architects has won a number of architectural awards including joint winner of the 2008 RIAS Andrew Doolan Best Building in Scotland Award. The building has now passed into the care of the Cassiltoun Trust and functions as a multi-purpose community facility.

List description updated 2009.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1856-9); Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) pp532-33; H Colvin A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) pp449-52; Glasgow Building Preservation Trust website at www.gbpt.org (accessed 17/2/09).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 59 MACHRIE ROAD, BARLIA TERRACE, CASTLEMILK HOUSE STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/06/2022 01:31