Gillespie, Kidd and Coia, 1934-40; sculpture by Archibald Dawson, followed by Mortimer, Wilson and Graham. Basilican-plan, Church, built of red brick, some contrasting ashlar dressings, narthex with austere massive street facade carried up pylon-like wih 5 tall arcaded bays at ground, triple entrance bays with stone detailing (bas reliefs over doors - St Columa and his tutors), sculputured figures (Christ and the evangelists) in niches above; complex flank elevations, basically side aisles linking taller elements, very slender and tall transepts (canted at Kirkwood street, with door alongside; Italian Romanesque influences, openings mostly round-arched; slated roofs. INTERIOR has flat timber ceiling, massive laminated timber beams over lightweight corbels; arcades all round-arched and without capitals, narrow passage aisles to nave, apsidal chancel, arches to side chapel etc like an ambulatory: chapel barrel vaults painted in contrasting styles; Sacred Heart chapel by Walker Pritchard, Lady Capel by William Crosbie, statues by Coia; Sanctuary Lamp and organ from previous church (by R Baird of Airdrie, 1853); Stations of the Cross by Miss MacGeechan. Baldacchino. Set behind brick boundary wall.
PRESBYTERY to S faces Kirkwood Street; 2 storeys, piend-roofed (slated) and also built of red brick; small-paned windows, the larger with
timber mullions and tansomes, off-centre tall projecting entrance bay with stone carving by Jack Mortimer commemorating history of Roman church locally; also large panel of the Good Shjepherd; prominent eaves cornice.