Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

225 SCOTLAND STREET, SCOTLAND STREET SCHOOL, WITH JANITOR'S HOUSE AND RAILINGSLB33534

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
06/07/1966
Supplementary Information Updated
05/06/2019
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57752 64142
Coordinates
257752, 664142

Description

225 Scotland Street Public School was built to the designs of Charles Rennie Mackintosh between 1903 and 1907.

Built in red ashlar sandstone, the principal (north) elevation is three-storey, seven-bays with a small central infants entrance. Flanked by two bold glazed staircase towers over boys and girls entrances, mullioned with small panes, conical slate roofs. Flanking cloakrooms set in receding stages with buttresses. Asymmetrical end elevations with tall chimneystacks. Arch to east boundary wall with bell cupola.

Rear (south) elevation is three-storey, 18-bay austerely detailed, with stylised architrave and swag decoration to end and central bays. Metal framed windows. Slate roof. Interior simply tiled corridor plan.

At the northwest corner of the site is a two-storey janitor s house with oriel, swept roofs and chimney stacks. The boundary wall with its gates and railings, with shallow arched ashlar entrance and outside toilet block, were also part of the original scheme. Closed as a school due to demolition of the surrounding housing, and reopened as a museum of education in November 1990.

Statement of Special Interest

Scotland Street School was one of Charles Rennie Mackintosh s most important commissions. He was appointed by the School Board of Glasgow on 22nd June 1903 to design a new public school on Scotland Street in Tradeston, south of the River Clyde. It opened on 4th August 1906. The unconventional design of the building is remarkable for its reinterpretation of traditional Scottish architectural forms. This is particularly evident in the glazed towers that light the stairs, which are comparable to the towers at Falkland Palace in Fife but are largely constructed in glazed rather than thick stone. The building features elaborately carved decoration in stylised geometric and organic forms typical of Mackintosh.

The boundary wall, gates, railings and the janitor s house were also designed as part of Mackintosh s original scheme and are integral to the composition. The rustic character of janitor s house has the appearance of a lodge to a country estate.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh is named as the architect in official correspondence from the School Board of Glasgow, and in other contemporary sources. Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as The Glasgow Style . This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as The Four . The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.

Mackintosh s work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907.

Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of Gesamtkunstwerk , meaning the synthesis of the arts . This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.

Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.

Listed building record revised in 2019.

References

Bibliography

References:

Printed Sources

Brown, A (2018) Charles Rennie Mackintosh Making the Glasgow Style. Glasgow: Glasgow Museums.

Cooper, J. (editor) (1984) Mackintosh architecture: the complete buildings and selected projects. London: Academy.

Crawford, A (1995) Charles Rennie Mackintosh. London: Thomas and Hudson.

Doak (ed) (1977) p.150.

Howarth, T. (1977) Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd, pp.187-190.

Neat, T. & McDermott, G. (2002) Closing The Circle Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. Aberdour: Inyx publishing.

Robertson, P. (editor) (1990) Mackintosh: The Architectural Papers. Wendlebury: White Cockade Publishing.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200362 [accessed 30/05/2019].

Mackintosh Architecture, M233 Scotland Street Public School at https://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla.ac.uk/catalogue/browse/display/?rs=232 [accessed 08/01/2019].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 225 SCOTLAND STREET, SCOTLAND STREET SCHOOL, WITH JANITOR'S HOUSE AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/08/2019 20:02