Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

2060 POLLOKSHAWS ROAD, POLLOK HOUSE INCLUDING SERVICE COURT, FORECOURT, GARDEN WALLING AND PAVILIONSLB33455

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
06/07/1966
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 54867 61850
Coordinates
254867, 661850

Description

Insufficiently documented, but architect likely to have

been somcone based in the west, such as Allan Dreghorn.

Dated 1752. Large piend-roofed box-type house with

additions by Sir R Rowand Anderson from 1890 onwards

for Sir John Stirling Maxwell, these essentially

comprising the wings and entrance hall (1890),

reconstructed forecourt to NE, garden pavilions to SW

(1903), offices to NW.

Pollok House, together with the contents and grounds,

was presented to the people of Glasgow by Mrs Anne

Maxwell MaDonald in 1966 and is now a museum, the

grounds a public park.

ORIGINAL HOUSE: 3 storeys over half-raised basement -

fully raised to garden front - plain elevations,

rusticated quoins, keystoned lintels at ground and 1st

floors; off-set over base course and - unusually - over

band course at 1st floor; advanced, pedimented

centrepiece to forecourt (NE), single wall-plane to

garden (excluding off-sets), wide centre bay with

entrance in Venetian window arrangement, sculptured

swags either side of each upper floor window (3 further

plain bays each side). Deep main cornice; bell-cast

slated roof with stacks at leaded platform, and over

flank wall-heads. Internal layout departs from the norm,

centre entrance hall full depth of house and well-lit to

garden, columned screen; also cross-ways full length

corridor; open main stair on right hand on entering

(concealed service stair occupies corresponding position

on basically symmetrical plan); dining and drawing rooms

of equal size, separated by hall, both facing garden

and containing some of the high quality original

decorative plasterwork in the house.

ADDITIONS: (Anderson's work respected the original house

so far as could be): sympathetic restrained Gibbsian/

William Adam style; FLANKING WINGS (library to SE,

billard room to NW) are single storey with Venetian

windows to the garden like the garden doorway; ENTRANCE

HALL is D-ended on plan and re-uses original doorcase,

double flighted stair within; KITCHEN at NW has roof-

dome, large cast-iron range; OFFICES extending NE have

pedimented round-arched pend, with sculptured ornament,

facing court and driveway. FORECOURT is enclosed by tall

walls, channelled piers at intervals and at gateway, all

with urns; decorative cast-iron gates.

Terraced GARDEN to SW with ogee-roofed pavilions,

balustrades, steps.

References

Bibliography

POLLOK HOUSE (Guide book); Sir John Stirling Maxwell,

SHRINES AND HOMES OF SCOTLAND (Sir John - mentioned

above - attributed the house to William Adam [d. 1748],

but that ascription now seems doubtful).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2060 POLLOKSHAWS ROAD, POLLOK HOUSE INCLUDING SERVICE COURT, FORECOURT, GARDEN WALLING AND PAVILIONS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 16:42