Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1030, 1048 GOVAN ROAD, GOVAN SHIPBUILDERS LTD, GENERAL OFFICES (EXCLUDING 1956 EXTENSION TO W).LB33356

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
10/01/2017
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 54904 65878
Coordinates
254904, 665878

Description

Honeyman and Keppie, dated 1890. Long classic 2-storey red ashlar office block.

Central 3-bay section: ground floor channelled ashlar, polished above. Advanced wide central bay with architraved and pedimented doorpiece supporting mermaids, set in arched panel; flanking statues of a mariner and a shipwright on trireme podia. Dentil cornice forms base for pedimented temple with 2 inner Corinthian columns fronting 3 large mullion and transom stained glass windows; balustrade over main entrance. 2 flanking cross windows with pilasters; 8 bays to either side with 1st floor pilastraded drawing offices. 3-storey tower at W end, Doric columned openings at 2nd floor. 6 bays to W with arched ground floor windows and blocked pedimented door dated 1890. 1st floor pilastrade. E end: E-facing pediment over pilasters, intersected by 1903 addition for gangway to new offices. 1-storey lodge with arched entrance and bipartites to E. 2 tall domed gatepiers, channelled at base.

Brick rear with ashlar band course and details. Curved section at E with arched 2nd floor windows and ashlar parapet. 3-storey square Italianate water tower with arched door and arched bipartite 1st floor window. Water tank, behind balustrade, is carried on brick piers and

Doric columns.

Nearly all windows to N and S are original sash and case 2-pane below, 9-pane above. M-roof, slate and glass, modern behind pediment.

Interior: mosaic floor in vestibule with modern "GS" insertion, ornate wrought-iron banister to stairs. Board room: fine carved wooden fireplace with portrait of Sir Wm Pearce, walls two thirds panelled. Geometric plaster ceiling, Corinthian columns and stained glass windows.

Arched corridors. 1st floor an open drawing office with wooden beams to M-roof and cast-iron columns supporting valley.

Statement of Special Interest

1956 extension to west not part of the listing.

References

Bibliography

Plans held by Govan Shipbuilders (A1) Hume (1974) p261

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1030, 1048 GOVAN ROAD, GOVAN SHIPBUILDERS LTD, GENERAL OFFICES (EXCLUDING 1956 EXTENSION TO W).

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 16:48