James Sellars (Campbell Douglas and Sellars), 1879 with
sculpture by William Mossman. Built as The New Club.
Redeveloped behind the facade. French classical 4-storeys
basement and double attic, raised to outer bays. 7 unequal
main bays; single outer bays breaking forward. Polished
ashlar. All windows sash and case, plate glass. Asymmetrical
at lower floors with regular central bays. Ground floor
moulded cill band; 1st floor cornice, 2nd floor balcony
projecting on brackets in centre; 3rd floor moulded cill
band; plain entablature with eaves cornice.
W BAY: shallow, canted, rising to 1st floor with architraved
windows at ground and 1st floor, latter with incised frieze
and small anthemion decoration at 1st relieved by 3/4
E ENTRANCE BAY: fluted pedimented, arched entrance on giant
pedestals with sculpted panels; relief figures in spandrels;
entablature with richly sculpted frieze.
Outer bays symmetrical from 2nd floor. 2nd floor tripartite
windows, centrally pedimented with graduated pilasters;
pilaster mullioned 3-light windows in 3rd repeated with
architraves and cornice in 4th, surmounted by dormer rising
through parapet flanked by diminutive piers.
CENTRAL BAYS: 3 ground floor giant oculi in shaped pedimented
panels, sculpted borders; 1st floor giant decorated 5-light
console pilastrade with cast-iron balconies in continuous
architraves. 2nd floor windows: 3 single window with
centrally consoled pedimented, architraves and sculpted
panels above string course. 3rd floor coupled pilastrade with
recessed glazing. 3 pedimented dormers rising through
parapet; oval attic lights with sculpted heads. Slate roof.
Outer mansards, raised.
Solid ashlar boundary walls with entrance wings.