Charles Wilson, 1854. Venetian Renaissance. 3 bays to West
Nile Street, 5 to West George Street, 5 + 1 return bays to
Nelson Mandela Place. Painted ashlar, channelled at ground
floor, vertically tooled at angles and around windows. Plinth
rising to cill band of ground floor. All windows casement,
roundheaded. Pilastered entrance to No 68 West George Street,
arched with sculpted relief spandrels. Keyblocks with carved
heads of law lords by A Handyside Ritchie at ground floor.
Ground floor triglyph frieze, guttae, mutule cornice. 1st
floor balustraded balcony, blind at N and E bays in Nelson
Mandela Place; panelled pedestals with rosettes. 1st floor to
West George Street: coupled Corinthian columns framing
roundheaded windows in sculpted cavetto recesses. Venetian
windows to West Nile Street and 1st 3 bays from S on Nelson
Mandela Place flanked by single Corinthian columns;
shell-headed niches in outer bays. Richly sculpted eaves
frieze, dentil band, modillion cornice; balustraded parapet.
N remaining bay simplified on upper floors. Entrance at No 62
West George Street repeating detail of No 68; blind window
above; 1st floor semi-engaged colonnade stops at 3rd bay from
S on St George's Place.
INTERIOR: Genoese staircase with cast-iron balustrade, carved
handrail. Coved, columned library at 1st with original
fittings and furniture.
Library extension T Harold Hughes 1940.