Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

254-290 (EVEN NOS) SAUCHIEHALL STREET, 5, 7 ROSE STREET, 2, 6 DALHOUSIE STREET AND 145, 147, 149 RENFREW STREET, MCLELLAN GALLERIESLB33192

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58521 65941
Coordinates
258521, 665941

Description

James Smith 1855, dome and shop fronts by Frank Burnet and

Boston 1904. Redeveloped behind the facade (after fire) 1988.

Rear building by A B Macdonald 1913-14. Polished ashlar with

marble shop front. 3-storey exhibition gallery and department

store. 9 x 31 x 10 bays occupying whole block with cupola

dome on SE corner of Sauchiehall Street and Blythswood Street

and 2-storey, 8-bay addition to Renfrew Street at rear. Main

entrance to galleries vestibule and shop with sculpted,

segmental pedimented doorpiece (1913-14), stepped double

pilasters and sculpted relief in tympanum and niche above

with sculpted supporters and bust on pedestal (bust by

Mossman, reused from original building) surmounted by broken

segmental pediment with relief. 1st floor cill band stopping

at entry to No 2 Dalhousie Street. Mutule cornice. Eaves

string course. Corniced ridge stacks. Slate roof. All windows

sash and case in architraves with plate glass.

ELEVATION TO SAUCHIEHALL STREET: 10-11-10 bays with centre

section breaking forward. 1st floor windows consoled with

segmental pediments in central section and triangular

pediments in centre 4 bays of outer sections. 2nd floor

windows with cills, consoled and corniced. Blocking course to

western section; parapet with piers to central and eastern

section.

Polygonal dome at SE corner (Rose Street/ Sauchiehall Street)

with broken segmental pedimented aedicule windows with

sculpted tympana and alternate arched windows with sculpted

friezes.

ELEVATION TO ROSE STREET: 10 bays and single storey entrance

bay at No 7 with architraved doorpiece, cornice and parapet.

2 floors of consoled and corniced windows pedimented on 1st

floor above Doric pilastered doorway with triglyph frieze at

No 5 Rose Street.

ELEVATION TO DALHOUSIE STREET: 9 bays arranged 5-4.

Channelled masonry in last 4 return bays from S. Single

storey entrance bay at No 6 Dalhousie Street similar to No 7

Rose Street. Channelled projecting solid portico with

roundheaded arch and keystone at No 2 Dalhousie Street. 1st 4

return bays from S breaking forward with 4 consoled and

corniced windows on each floor. Next 5 bays, ground floor

stepped up in 2 bays above entry with 5 consoled and corniced

windows - on cill band in stepped bays and with cills in

outer bays; pediment in 3rd bay from N; 5 margined windows on

1st floor.

ELEVATION TO RENFREW STREET: 2 storeys, 8 bays. Polished

ashlar with rusticated base. 1 storey projecting from main

section with mutule cornice and flat, recessed casement

windows. Architraved entrance at No 147 and No 149 Renfrew

Street. Giant quoined sections with sculpted panels in

projecting outer bays of main section with sculpted reliefs,

dentil cornice, and parapet with swags flanking blind central

section with 3 sculpted panels. 'City of Glasgow' motifs

flanking inscription 'McLellan Galleries'. Eaves frieze,

cornice, parapet.

INTERIOR: cast-iron columns with free Renaissance capitals;

gallery at 2nd floor panelled with Corinthian columned marble

and brass chimneypiece.

GALLERIES: top-lit landing with columnar screens and

pilasters; series of top-lit galleries. Elaborate marbled

detailing.

Statement of Special Interest

1st gallery for MacLellan collection 1867, in Corporation Buildings/Galleries, (Institute of Fine Art) subsequently

Magasin des Tuileries, then Trerons (badly damaged by fire

1987).

References

Bibliography

APSD ($40,000). B. April 9, 1904. BN Feb 20, 1914. S R

Archives, D of G 1/9658 (1903). T D 233/20. RIBA Fellowship

Nomination Papers (James Carruthers) 1911 alterations to

warehouse and galleries prior to rebuilding. Gomme and

Walker, 1968 p 296.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 254-290 (EVEN NOS) SAUCHIEHALL STREET, 5, 7 ROSE STREET, 2, 6 DALHOUSIE STREET AND 145, 147, 149 RENFREW STREET, MCLELLAN GALLERIES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 22:39