Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

16 ROBERTSON STREET, CLYDE NAVIGATION TRUSTLB33113

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
06/07/1966
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58586 64963
Coordinates
258586, 664963

Description

Sir J J Burnet. 1883-6 N section. 1905-8 corner with

Broomielaw. Beaux Art Renaissance with fine sculpture by

Albert Hodge. 3 tall storeys, basement and attic.

Polished granite base, rusticated ashlar to ground and

1st floors, polished above.

1883-6 SECTION: 5 N bays in Robertson Street, round-

arched openings to ground, 3 central form main loggia

entrance flanked by 2 boldly modelled projecting ships

prows, pedimented 1st floor, tetrastyle temple

frontispiece above with exotic composite capitals and

elaborately sculptured pediment with crowning Neptune

set-piece. Mullion and transom 2nd floor windows, taller

to centre.

1905-8: 4 bays attached to S gable following 1883-6

designs with imposing circled corner with pilastered

drum, dome and crowning cupola. Details similar to

earlier block; engaged columns paired at angle with

oculus over each 2nd floor window, entablature much high

quality sculpture in capitals and bold sculptural

decoration at upper levels including figures of Watt,

Telford and Henry Bell (commissioned 1907) 2 massive

sculptures frame dome (1908).

INTERIOR: Exceptionally fine Edwardian interior work in

main rooms. Ionic dome detail of loggia continued in

entrance hall; at rear tall business hall with engaged

Pascal-type banded Doric columns flanking angles, boldly

coffered ceiling. Stair: ceramic tiled walls, cast-iron

balusters with regular out-flankers (braces) in similar

elegant design, screen at 2nd floor (now filled) leading

to elaborate 8-bay corridor (off-set at S) with

pendentive domes on engaged columns (subtle variation in

2 sections).

TRUST HALL: circular meeting hall, domed, 3 windows at

street angle, opposite 3 boldly columned bays with

nautical details, stencilled decoration; floral swagged

plasterwork in dome; stained glass in upper lights. Board

Room: tall room in centre of original frontispiece,

panelled for approx 10' with embossed paper to upper

walls, painted and panelled ceiling; large sliding doors

with elaborate hinges to rooms at either end; ship over

chimneypiece and original screen (could be raised and

lowered); stained glass in upper lights. 2 committee

rooms and dining room handsomely detailed, panelled etc.

All rooms contain original furnishings. Tall brick flue

with corbelled coping.

Statement of Special Interest

Illustration in THE ARCHITECT 1888 shows projected

campanile instead of dome finally built. Watercolour by

Jules Lessore. Original section cost $25,000.

References

Bibliography

RIBA Fellowship Nomination Papers 29 Nov 1897. Drawings:

1906-8 with Clyde Navigation Trust. Information by

courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Beattie,

THE NEW SCULPTURE 1983 p 245.

Gomme and Walker 1968 p.299.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 16 ROBERTSON STREET, CLYDE NAVIGATION TRUST

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/08/2019 09:41