Alfred Waterhouse, 1888-9. Flemish Renaissance, 4-storey,
attic and basement commercial building on corner, modern
shops to ground floor, Renfield Street; 5 x 5 unequal
bays with angled corner bay. Red brick with ashlar
dressings, plinth. Ground floor cornice; 1st floor cill
band; 2nd floor corbelled cill band, plain entablature;
3rd floor corbelled cill band, bracketted eaves cornice;
crowstepped gabled and pedimented dormers with finials. 3,
2 and single light sash and case windows with stone
mullions and transomes.
ANGLE BAY: shallow arched entrance at ground floor, deep
bracketted balcony with cast-iron balusters above; 2nd
and 3rd floor outer pilaster strips carrying elaborately
corbelled circular tourelles with pepper pot roofs flanking
ELEVATION TO RENFIELD STREET: pierced eaves parapet,
4-light crowstepped dormer repeated in 2 W bays to West
ELEVATION TO WEST REGENT STREET: 5 bays 2 western under
with 3 cross windows to each bay above 1st arched ground
floor windows and deep bracketted balcony at 1st floor.
Decoration of main elevation continues 1 bay into NW
return at Bath Lane.
INTERIOR: De Quincey's Public House: polychromatic tiled
interior with chimneypiece and arched column screen.
Wall plaque at 1st floor N bay commemorating residence
of Thomas de Quincey.