Dated 1648 over door. L-plan tower house, 2-storey with
attic, single-storey addition of 18th/19th century to W. The
tower was extensively restored in 1971 and some window
surrounds and openings are new work; rubble walling, battered
Roll-moulded doorway in re-entrant angle with heraldic panel
above dated 1648 and with the escutcheon and initials of
William McLellan and Mary (?Margaret) Gordon. Further
roll-moulded door to N, conversion from original roll-moulded
window reusing old jambs. Windows mainly roll-moulded, some
smaller windows with chamfered jambs. 3 pedimented dormers, 2
heavily restored; that to N blank. 2 to W elevation: to left
original work with initials WMG and date 1648, that to right
HW 1971 (Sir Hugh Wontner). N dormers flank massive wallhead
stack, smaller end stacks with thackstanes.
Skews of unusual pattern; flat skew slabs interrupted by
kneelers; run-off skewputts. Slate roofs.
Single storey and attic addition partially (modern) harled to
W; roof pitch raised 1971 and depressed arch opening to W
gable slapped through.
INTERIOR: ground floor contains usual cellarage though it is
not vaulted. Newel stair in jamb, hall to 1st floor and
bedrooms above. All floors renewed, some original corbels
support hall ceiling joists; otherwise no original internal