Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KELVINGROVE PARK, KELVINGROVE ART GALLERY AND MUSEUMLB33071

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56762 66310
Coordinates
256762, 666310

Description

J W Simpson and Milner Allen (London), 1892 (competition) complete 1901; sculpture supervised and partly executed by George Frampton, other sculptors involved, W Birnie Rhind, E G Bramwell, Johann Keller, A McF Shannon, F Derwent Wood, A Falkner. 1, 2 and 3 storeys. Profusely decorated, free classical style museum and art gallery. Mainly symmetrical. Central block with linking sections and pavilions, square towers to angles in each section. Various roof heights, hipped or mansard roofs. 3-storey navicular central block embedded in plan, flanked by tall 4-stage towers at N. Polished ashlar, banded at ground floor, rusticated basement.

Elevation to N: 17 unequal bays arranged 1-5-5-5-1, wings and centre raised and projecting, centre raised and advanced in outer bays. 5-storey entrance porch with parapetted side steps with flanking piers. Central figure sculpture of St Mungo in arched, open niche with sculpted spandrels. 1st floor 6-light arched casement windows. Corner tourelles at 3rd floor with central aedicule, broken pedimented window, section above pedimented with open, arcaded roof lantern. Pedimented 1st floor outer bays with figure sculpture above flanked by tourelles.

Recessed linking sections with 9-light casement windows divided by pilasters, bracketted cornice, balustraded parapet with obelisk die.

Wings: shallow, bowed ground floor window, blind 1st floor, balustraded parapet, thermal window above surmounted by sculpture.

W return: detailing as N elevation in 5 bays with flanking towers.

S elevation to Argyle Street: as N elevation with differing centre. 3-bay single storey porte cochere at head of steps, arched, divided by pilasters, independent cornice, die parapet. 3-storey, 5-bay main section advanced with flanking towers, bays arranged 1-3-1. Mansard roofs to outer bays, segmentally pedimented dormers to centre flanked by 3-light Tuscan column-mullioned windows.

Interior: double volume main hall, galleried, ashlar lined with coupled, blocked columns.

Statement of Special Interest

Only permanent building of International Exhibition 1901. Listed category A for high quality of sculpture.

Upgraded B to A 21.7.88. Part of Kelvingrove Park West B group, comprising 10 Dumbarton Road, Partick Bridge over River Kelvin, Partick Sewage Pumping Station, Anderson's College, The Snow Bridge, 2-4 Dumbarton Road Sunlight Cottages, University Main Block and The Cameronians Monument.

References

Bibliography

S. R. Archives. D of G 1/5371, 1/2627.

S Beattie, THE NEW SCULPTURE 1983, pp.90-98.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KELVINGROVE PARK, KELVINGROVE ART GALLERY AND MUSEUM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/08/2019 20:13