Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 58365 65070
258365, 665070


John Baird (architect), Watson (builder), J Mossman

(sculptor). Warehouse dated 1854, raised circa 1880, enlarged

1910-12 by R Thomson, reconstructed 1932 by Clarke, Bell and


ORIGINAL BUILDING: substantial basement and tall single (?2)

storeys, 14 bays, (central 4 bays with 2 shallow breaks

forward). Yellow ashlar, channelled to 2 central bays. 2

large semi-circular headed cart entrances with 2-leaf

panelled doors and wickets, all ground floor windows in

semi-circular openings, blind at lower half, radial glazing

in heads. Entablature over ground. It is probable that the

5-light arcaded and pedimented storey, with the words

"Tobacco Warehouse" inscribed above the windows, was raised

to its present position circa 1880. The sculpted Royal

Insignia was part of the original scheme. Additional 3 bays

to S, 2 panelled and studded doors at ground, margined

windows above (corniced 1st) 12 and 15-pane glazing pattern.

CIRCA 1880 ADDITION: 1 storey added with windows in simple

margins. Pediment etc raised (see above). Eaves band and


1910-12: 1st plans 1910. Substantial 4-storey top hamper, red

sandstone facade. (Internal construction to a new system of

tensioned steel in floors anchored to columns, replaced in

1932 reconstruction.) 3rd to 4th storeys linked vertically in

panels, 5th/attic storey above cill course. Main cornice


2 additional bays to N, (1911-12). N addition with central

door and 2 flanking windows with decorative glazing, upper

storeys detailed as main building.

Brown Street: 1 wide centre bay, 6 flanking bays.

Semi-circular headed entrance in channelled triumphal arch

frame. Probably circa 1880 Venetian window over door and 6

flanking tall arched windows. Upper storeys as James Watt


Statement of Special Interest

Original building cost $10,000, built for Messrs Connal & Co.

(J Mossman made bust of William Connal 1856) for tobacco

storage (1832 Glasgow became a bonding port for tobacco.) The

1910-12 building technique was well reported in Journals and

even THE TIMES. THE GLASGOW HERALD report 1912 notes that

1854 building raised to 2 storeys "some 30 years ago".



Gomme and Walker 1968 p 291.

J Hume, 1974. p.232.

M D MacAulay THE BROOMIELAW, Dissertation Mackintosh School;


BI June 15, 1904.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 27-59 (ODD NOS) JAMES WATT STREET AND 42-52 (EVEN NOS) BROWN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2021 17:12