Alexander Thomson (A and G Thomson), 1864, with later additional storeys by J H Craigie, 1902-07. 1st-3rd floors with distinctive Thomsonesque Greek details. 6 storeys and attic with modern shops at ground floor. 15 bays. Polished ashlar. Mostly casement windows.
1ST FLOOR: pilaster aedicule windows on continuous incised podium breaking forward at bases; each window has incised ornament at frieze and projecting cornice with antefixae and acroters; dado with anthemion and palmette; frieze sculpted anthemion separating bays; blind aedicules
in outer bays.
2ND FLOOR: stylised pilaster order with recessed glazing; blind outer bays with geometric incised design; entablature with disc and anthemion and palmette frieze, projecting cornice.
3RD FLOOR: former eaves gallery supported on sculpted consoles; geometric Greek and incised star and disc frieze; cornice.
4th and 5th floor on continuous podium; elaborate Edwardian Graeco- Baroque top hammer. Bays arranged 1-3-2-3-2-3-1: 2 outer, 1 central with tetrastyle Ionic fluted attached porticos, pedimented in centre; pilaster architraved to 4th floor with mutual cornice; pilasters
dividing bays rising through 4th and 5th floors. Main cornice with full entablature. Central 3-bay window with elaborate central aedicule in attic storey 3-bay cupolas over exaggerated attic windows in outer bays with 3-lights separated by carved consoles, broken, shaped cornice
above cut by single light corniced windows. Set-back dormers.