Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

179 BUCHANAN STREET, FORMER ATHENAEUM THEATRELB33004

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
06/07/1966
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59037 65562
Coordinates
259037, 665562

Description

Sir J J Burnet and J A Campbell, 1891-3. Eclectic with Renaissance detail, pioneer vertical (elevator) building. 5 storeys and basement, 3 main bays. Ashlar, channelled at ground floor, metal window frames. Narrow gabled northern stair tower. Broad doorway with mannerist

window above. 1st floor canted balustraded balcony; above full-height (interrupted by small pedimented window) thin pilaster strips between clasping octagonal piers, rising to small turret; irregular fenestration; some steps between pilaster strips; cornice; octagonal

"Tower of the Winds" cupola.

Gabled section to S, 2 windows to ground floor. Giant arched central recess rising from 1st to 4th floor; 2nd and 3rd floor windows canted, 1st and 2nd set into metal frames, 3rd floor stone window, corbelled with central aediculed window, balcony above; octagonal piers at outer ends of balcony supporting seated sculpted figures. 4th floor window set under wide, keystoned arch, aedicule with sculpted figure in niche at gable apex; turret at southern angle similar to that of stair tower.

INTERIOR: squat-columned theatre interior survives, including seating, simple proscenium. Wrought-iron lift shaft.

Statement of Special Interest

An important work by the celebrated architects J J Burnet and J A Campbell, the former Athenaeum Theatre was built in 1891-3. The Dictionary of Scottish Architects notes that this was a pioneering 'elevator' style building where height made the most of the narrow Glasgow plot.

It was purpose-built to train drama students and contained a theatre, billiard room, dining room and gymnasium.

References from previous list description: B Oct 21 1893. Doak (ed) 1977 No 126. D Walker in A Service (ed), 'Edwardian Architecture and its origins 1975'. S R Archives, D of G 1/1072

Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 204-5, 210, 255.

List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.

References

Bibliography

2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1892-7); Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p249. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 22 March 2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 179 BUCHANAN STREET, FORMER ATHENAEUM THEATRE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 16:12