3 separate warehouse premises now combined into one department
store. S section of Buchanan Street frontage (originally
Kemp's shawl emporium) 1853-4, 5 storeys (4th and 5th added
by Boucher and Cousland after fire of 1883). Cast-iron framed, pilastered masonry ends, diminutive segmental pediments over
Central section (original Wylie and Lochead building). James
Sellars (Campbell Douglas and Sellars) 1884 (rebuilt after
fire of 1883). Renaissance 5-storey and attic terracotta
frontage, Corinthian pilasters through lower 2 floors, central
broken segmental pediment with figures over entrance; divided
into 3 bays above ground floor with banded pilasters, 3 windows
to each bay, pilastered to 2nd and columned to 3rd; windows in
outer bays, bowed at 2nd and 3rd floors; decorated pilasters
to 3rd. Balustraded parapet with 3 tall arched dormers, whole
surmounted by cast-iron parapet.
INTERIOR: cast-iron framed, clad in terracotta, fireproof
construction. Long saloon rising 5 storeys, 4 main bays,
arched glass roof, mahogany staircase.
N SECTION: Boucher and Cousland for Mirrlees, Italianate
astylar, 5-storey, 7-bay. Top 2 storeys after 1883 fire.
Consoled pediments 1st floor windows, segmental pediments
2nd, architraves 3rd, plain pilasters between 4th; balustraded
parapet with coat of arms.